WinXP Admin Hole
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WinXP Admin Hole

WinXP Admin Hole

I find this a good issue to be posted here. I hope there is a fix for this, but with Windows XP there is a hole that allows users to bypass the Admin Logon prompt.

They simply have to boot their computer through Windows 2000 CD, choose the boot up a windows XP box and start windows 2000 the Recivery Console.

After that just put in a username and if the account requires a password then they will be logged on under that name without the need of a password.

PLEASE E-Mail me for a fix

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    There is no fix for this. It has been a known issue for about 7 or 8 months. You can boot machines with a knoppix CD as well as many others. Bottom line, if someone has physical access to your box, you're owned anyway.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Kwiep
    or you could eat all the windows 2000 cd's in the world
    a friend of mine *tried* to eat a windows 98 cd and I'd personally recommend to not do it

post scriptium:
    I'm sorry for this very shitty and useless reply, but I have to wait 5 minutes before I can shut this computer down and go do something else, so I'm in this area of time where you have to little time to do something else and to much time to just sit arround and wait...
    Double Dutch

Banned
    mmmm, Win98 CD's make a tasty alternative to pancakes.

Banned
    In your local security policy disable automatic administrative login, next use EFS to protect anything important. Even if an attacker boots from a cd image to alter the SAM, this will break the EFS seamlessness. (similar to when the admin changes a users password the keys are lost) You will of course wish to backup the keys to a secure location to prevent any accidental loss of EFS affected objects.

No this is not 100% secure, but it dramatically increases the resource level a successful attacker must have availible to them.

catch

Kwiep
    set a bios pasword, dissallow booting from cd and anything else but the hd, build in some booby trap thing that makes the hd explode when the case is opened
    Double Dutch

Originally posted here by neel
    set a bios pasword, dissallow booting from cd and anything else but the hd, build in some booby trap thing that makes the hd explode when the case is opened
    If it is possible, also put a lock or zip tie on the back so the case can't be opened easily... you can easily reset the BIOS passwords if the motherboard has the ability... and I've yet to see one that doens't. Some laptops make it nearly impossible to reset the BIOS password too...

Kwiep
    Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    If it is possible, also put a lock or zip tie on the back so the case can't be opened easily... you can easily reset the BIOS passwords if the motherboard has the ability... and I've yet to see one that doens't.
    solution:
    Originally posted here by neel
    build in some booby trap thing that makes the hd explode when the case is opened
    Double Dutch

I play at a lot of LAN parties the steps I take to keep people out of this O.S. is to reroute the power switch to a remote part of the box only I know what pannel to hit to turn the comp on. Now back to the question hell all you have to do to get an adminastrato account is hit a certain F* button and it lets you boot into safe mode then you give yourself a admin account thats why miorosoft is meant for the average newbie who forgets his or her password.

Microsoft is gay
    Mike tysonn
    Spread Firefox.

Now back to the question hell all you have to do to get an adminastrato account is hit a certain F* button and it lets you boot into safe mode then you give yourself a admin account thats why miorosoft is meant for the average newbie who forgets his or her password.
    I'm not sure about on 2k... but on XP, safe mode and command prompt mode/recovery console require you to enter the admin password. Just hope that you haven't renamed your "administrator" account... because if you did... you can't get logged in.

It won't allow you to change the username that you are required to enter a password for. Since you have renamed "administrator" and it is trying to login to that account name... you are screwed.

Thats when the NT Offline password recovery utility comes into play.