Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apache 2 help

Are you sure that Apache is not just listening on the loopback interface?

You will probably want it to listen on all interfaces by default, not loopback only.

Your Listen line in httpd.conf should look like

Code:
    Listen 80
    Not

Code:
    Listen 127.0.0.1:80
    As the latter will make it listen only on loopback, hence be inaccessible from anywhere else.

Slarty

Your gateway IP is usually the address of your router, as that's your gateway to the internet.

Your Listen directive is set correctly, however you should try commenting out (i.e. put a hash - # - sign in front of) the ServerName directive - I have never used that on Windows on Linux and it has always worked fine (I think if anything you would put the IP of your router here).

Assuming that port redirection is enabled on your router, and it is sending requests for port 80 the correct machine, there's no reason why other people shouldn't be able to see your web server if it is running properly on your machine, unless you have a software firewall as well (when I installed Apache on Linux I had to mess about with iptables to get it to show properly).

I can't see any glaring errors in your httpd.conf file, and if there were any it probably wouldn't run as localhost either, so the most likely explanation is either than your port redirection isn't working or your Windows 98 machine hasn't had a static internal IP address assigned to it properly.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Elite Hacker
    here's what I'm going to do. I have used fips to split my windows partition.
    I have also moved everything I want to keep to the new partition and I am going to reinstall windows. Would you all be really mad at me if I used the iis web server that comes with windows 98. I think that is what I want to do.
    also i had uninstalled and reinstalled apache a couple of times and on my control+alt+delete screen there was apache and also something called winoldap. could this be an old configuration of apache that wasn't uninstalled correctly?
    anyways, windows just started copying all of the files so it should be up and running in no time. Then i'll install all the drivers and then the iis web server and maybe you all can test it for me.
    thanks

h3r3tic

I wouldn't be mad with you for using IIS, although it comes with Windows 2000 and XP Professional, not Wndows 98 (that'd be Personal Web Server). But I wouldn't be able to help you either, because my web server knowledge is firmly grounded in Apache, and I've never even tried using IIS.

Elite Hacker
    I was going to try and set up the phpbb from sourceforge so i installed php4.3.3.
    then i restarted. am i right that all the php files are not supposed to have the symbol that they have when windows doesn't know what i mean. What I'm trying to say is that they should be associated with php4.3.3 shouldn't they?
    oh well
    thanks

PHP files don't need to be associated with the php.exe file (they aren't on my machine, Windows or Linux) because the executable file will be called by the webserver whenever a file with a page with the .php extension is requested.

Elite Hacker
    I got apache to work
    check it out 24.243.64.239
    after I reinstalled windows I downloaded an older version of apache.
    I think I might have gotten php to work also.
    thanks everyone