Thread: virus email woes :(

Arrow virus email woes :(

ai ai ai

over the last week or so i had around 10 virus email a day, not much to be bothered about really but i have been offline for 3 days and i have 522 virus emails waiting for me.

i help run dfhq.net - gaming resource site and someone posted on our forum saying that they had got virus emails also, then another then another etc.

it would seem that someone in the df gaming community has a lot of people in their address book and has a farked up computer with some viri on it and just because they dont care about their PC, a lot of ppl are getting a bit fed up with the situation.

how can we stop this happening? contact their ISP to get them to check it out?
    it's getting damn annoying now

they all apear to be comming from random email addresses but from the same IP address and their ISP apears to be http://www.opusinteractive.net/index.asp

thanks for help in advance

Man are you sure that the person that you are talking about doesn't send the emails out themselves?

Next how do you know that it is coming from that computer?
    Not to say that you don't know what you are talking about but, it is first really easy, to forge an email, second that person could, of been hit by a Virus that Autosends the same Virus back out.

I need to know a little more before I can tell you anything.

I will say that calling his ISP might help, but the only thing that it will, do is maybe get them to call and ask him, or just shut down his service, which might not help, depending on where his email is at, because if it is on a server those, emails will still be sent out.

Now, my personal recommendation is that you contact the guy, that you think this is coming from and, ask him to download, an Antivirus. Then scan his computer.

If he needs a free one give him, this URL.

http://www.free-av.com/

That is a pretty good, one.

That is all I can think about. Also ask him which email client he is using. Because most Services, have a virus scanner on there system and it won't let anything be sent if it has a virus.

Jizz

check this one out: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...angerous+email

it might be the same variant as this person was getting about 10 emails a day containing viruses. If you see email with an attachement of 100k or something, just delete them. Update your antivirus and just delete any suspicious emails.

Peace

P. S. After you visit that link i submited, copy and paste one of the emails so we can check it out.
    \"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.\" (Sign hanging in Einstein\'s office at Princeton)

ty for quick replies :)

(also if i post anything im not supposed to like links or ip addied PLEASE reply quick so i can edit or something ty)

here is a post on our forum http://www.dfhq.net/forum/showthread...&threadid=9804
    someone found out that is was the W32.Sobig.F@mm virus being sent in all the messages, the txt about it is pasted from symentec in that link.

Man are you sure that the person that you are talking about doesn't send the emails out themselves?

pretty sure, it looks like the emails are being sent out every 10 minutes throughout the day :/ no one is that crazy surely lol. *worried*

Next how do you know that it is coming from that computer?
    Not to say that you don't know what you are talking about but, it is first really easy, to forge an email, second that person could, of been hit by a Virus that Autosends the same Virus back out.

actually i do not know what im talking about :( thats why im posting in the n00bs section hehe :D i checked the email header and although the email address was different email, the IP was always the same:

for ; Tue, 2 Sep 2003 06:29:12 -0500
    X-ClientAddr: 211.29.64.219
    Received: from MORRIS (c211-29-64-219.rivrw2.nsw.optusnet.com.au [211.29.64.219])

I need to know a little more before I can tell you anything.

sry i really dont know what to post here. :(

I will say that calling his ISP might help, but the only thing that it will, do is maybe get them to call and ask him, or just shut down his service, which might not help, depending on where his email is at, because if it is on a server those, emails will still be sent out.

ok :)

Now, my personal recommendation is that you contact the guy, that you think this is coming from and, ask him to download, an Antivirus. Then scan his computer.

i would love to contact this guy! i dont know how to really. all i have is an IP i think might be his :/

That is all I can think about. Also ask him which email client he is using. Because most Services, have a virus scanner on there system and it won't let anything be sent if it has a virus.

thanks for the reply and info :cool:

Originally posted here by L1nk
    check this one out: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...angerous+email

it might be the same variant as this person was getting about 10 emails a day containing viruses. If you see email with an attachement of 100k or something, just delete them. Update your antivirus and just delete any suspicious emails.

Peace

P. S. After you visit that link i submited, copy and paste one of the emails so we can check it out.

thanks for tip :)

i update my AV every day but the problem is that when my AV cjecks teh emails and it finds a virus i have to click 'finished' after each on it finds :/ maybe there is an option to auto delete.

and it is pretty frustrating with 500+ emails aaaaaarrrrgggggg

i just downloaded MailWasher which helped a lot.