Concerning my hard drive partitions

Thread: Concerning my hard drive partitions

Question Concerning my hard drive partitions

Hey everyone,

I'm having some trouble with my PC. At first, I dual-booted WinXP Pro (for my windows apps and games...I'm new to Linux) and Redhat 8.2. I partitioned my drive more times than I should have, and I want to do away with some partitions. When I deleted some of the partitions (in all I have 5 on a 60-gig hard drive) they were dubbed unallocated on the file system. My partitions are formatted with NTFS, FAT32 (my backup drive) and Ext2. Even though they were dubbed unallocated and seemed to be erased completely, the sections of unallocated space still exist, as if they are still partitioned. I have tried running Partition Magic Pro v7.0, but it constantly locks up on my system, even when my system reboots to perform operations in the startup dialogue. I've even tried reformatting and reinstalling my OS, wondering if there was a corrupt file or misconfiguration that causes gliches when I use PMP7. Because of this, I cannot rename my drives (my current primary drive is H nor can I merge partitions. I don't know why my system freezes when I try partition operations...maybe my primary drive isn't unmounting correctly. I have no clue. If anyone out there can give me a pointer or two, I would really appreciate it. Maybe there is some open source partition management software out there...poor college students can't afford the big guns.

Thanks for your time,
    gilgalad
    \"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.\" - Voltairé

I had similar problems with Partition Magic 7.....get Partition Magic 8 if there is a trial available, if not download the Partition Commander 8 trial....Good Luck
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

On your linux console type cfdisk. From here you can choose which disk partitions you want to edit/erase etc.....Have Fun
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. The future of the "beast" looks bright indeed.
    \"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.\" - Voltairé

Banned
    Originally posted here by gilgalad
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. The future of the "beast" looks bright indeed.
    You mean like in all those stories about "mark of the beast"? Is your computer telling you to wear barcodes on your body? You wouldn't happend to also be a satanic worshiper, a BSD user, or a mixture of both would you?

Sorry for the random out of the blue bullcrap... Its just that I find your last post in this thread to be a little odd, thats all.

If you start up with the win XP cd in the CD-ROM (you may have to set boot from CD in your BIOS) Them press "R" for the rcovery console, it will list all your partition (at least all your windows partitions, im not sure about your R/Hat one) and it will give you quite a few options such as converting partitions to NTFS or FAT 32. You can also delete/ repair partitions from here.
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/