Thread: IPv6--The way to go?

IPv6--The way to go?

Whats up with IPv6?

I have a wireless network, on which I frequently play online games and also share files. Should I make the move to IPv6? If I do, will I have to upgrade the whole network?

Also, will affect the functionality of some of my Internet-based programs, such as remote-networking tools (e.g. nmap, netcat, retina)?

Anyone have any experiences with IPv6?

Thanks
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

Hi mom!
    As long as you don't need to upgrade to ipv6, I wouldn't. Stick with the most commonly used protocol for now.

IPv6 was introduced to fill the need for extra address-space that would be needed once all of the addresses used by IPv4 were 'full', but with the appliance of mechanisms like NAT and DHCP, the need for more IP-addresses doesn't grow as fast as some people predicted, I guess.

For a single computer-connection, or a small network, there shouldn't be any reason to move over to IPv6 (other than just wanting to play with it).
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

IPv6 is not yet standarized on Internet routers..Its a totally different animal....If the TCP/IP stacks on your Local routers, pCs etc support it, you can mess around with it, however, you will not be able to communicate over the Internet..

Cheers