Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STOP those F***ing pop ups that use WIN2K Alerter Service!

STOP those F***ing pop ups that use WIN2K Alerter Service!

A friend asked me about pop-up's that use MS Messenger Alerter service today, So I thought I would share the answer with Antionline. I know it's a little cheesy to you 311T3 haxors out there, but I figured the newbies would dig it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THis is a quick tutorial on how to stop those annoying pop-up messages you get which use the Microsoft Messenger Alerter service in Windows 2000, with out using third party software.
    (which is EXTREMELY ridiculous when you see how easy this is)

Method 1: Ok, really simple. you open a command prompt by clicking Start->Run and typing "cmd" in the text field. Now at the C:\> prompt type "net stop messenger"
    and BANG! no more MS Messenger pop-ups. NOw, this of course is a temporary solution that you must repeat every time you re-boot. Well, is'nt there a more permanent solution ? Well, i'm glad you asked, cause yes there is!

Method 2: Like this, click Start->Programs->Administrative tools->Services Now, your services window should have popped up. Scroll down untill you find the service named "Messenger". Right click on the service, select properties, stop the service and change the value in the startup type field from Automatic to Manual. Or you can just select disable.

Ok, I hope someone out there found this helpful. As usual, submit all flames, complaints and negative criticism to my boss at president@whitehouse.gov
    I hate this place, nothing works here, I\'ve been here for 7 years, the medication does\'nt work...

err...i feel really stupid saying this, but i cant find Administrative tools in start->all programs. lol could someone help me, like give me the icon or something
    Support your right to arm bears.

^^This was the first video game which i played on an old win3.1 box

Click on start then settings then select control panel and there you go

Thanks,

Very useful, as I have several WIN2k boxes.

Perhaps I should speak on behalf of the US Mail service..................snail it to "da boss" 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue?..............just a thought ......................make sure you don't send it to 985 ........I think that is the one?...they are on he same road as I remember.......the FBI building?

Public holiday over here break. guess I have had too much beer

Thanks for the post

oops, sorry.... but the good thing about windows is that there is always more than one way to get somewhere. Start->Settings->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Managment-> you will see Services & Applications at the bottom.

Or do it the quick way and right click "My Computer" and select Manage
    I hate this place, nothing works here, I\'ve been here for 7 years, the medication does\'nt work...

Originally posted here by White_Eskimo
    err...i feel really stupid saying this, but i cant find Administrative tools in start->all programs. lol could someone help me, like give me the icon or something

Hey Hey, this is because not everyone has Administrative Tools in their start menu. As well you are in XP and he mentioned his steps are for 2k. However this method also works in XP. You'll just have to go to Control panel --> Administrative Tools --> Services.

yeah thanks i have XP I got it now...good tutorial thanks again everyone
    Support your right to arm bears.

^^This was the first video game which i played on an old win3.1 box

Follow these directions to place the Administrative Tools in your Start menu: (windows xp)

Right-click your Start menu and choose Properties.
    Click the Customize button on the Start menu tab.
    Click the Advanced tab and look for the text labeled "Start menu items."
    In the Start menu items, scroll all the way to the bottom of the list and check the box next to the text labeled "Display on the All Programs and the Start menu" listing.
    Click OK.
    Click Apply.
    \"it is better to stay silent and appear stupid then to speak and remove all doubt\"

a quicker way to get to mmc services is to right click "my computer" and select "manage"
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

thanks for the info, this helps me specially the quicker way to go the computer management..