Rate these firewalls

Thread: Rate these firewalls

Rate these firewalls

I'm thinking on buying myself a new firewall. One that's not that widely used. I was wondering what your opinions were on these two firewalls:

deerfield visnetic firewall
    agnitum firewall pro

Thx in advance...

Ok, Theres been about 3,000 posts on this same subject.

I don't know about the rest of you guys but its getting pretty tireing haveing to answer the same stinking question over and over. The next time you have a question about which firewall is the best, use the search funtion to find other threds like this one. I'm not trying to be mean or anything just trying to get a point across.

The best Firewall out there is the one that you like. I may say that agnitum is the best firewall, but someone else might kinda like the deerfield firewall. So in the end it comes down to what you like.

Check out the Zone Alarm Firewall to while your looking at those others
    Zone Alarm Firewall-- http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp
    =

firewall

Go to [url]www.kickme.to/xaliasx. and look around.McKee as a good one.There are five or more to chose from.

I thought all software Firewalls were redundant now since the 'Firehole' and 'tooleaky' vulnerabilities were demonstrated

hey,

- if you have an old machine (486 or higher) around, you could easily install a version of Unix(BSD) with router/firewall software/kernel

I find it to be a pretty decent set-up. With all of the Firewall front-ends it's pretty easy to properly configure all your machines/services. and- no matter what machine/OS you're running, the same firewall rules apply.

btw- i don't have any personal experience with any of the firewall(s) you listed above...
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

OK..................I agree with Cheyenne that questions get repeated..............and that it might be thought tedious........but isn't this the same question as "what is the best video card", "best processor" or whatever?

I am usually reluctant to answer these questions, on the grounds that it is a moving target?.....what I might have said six months ago , might not be what I believe today . I do not think that people remember all their posts, and dilligently go back and edit them

I just want to make a general point that in a rapidly moving environment, it is perhaps permissible to re-post a question once in a while? (ONCE!)

Swervedriver's comment is interesting, as I was always believed that hardware and software firewalls were complimentary rather than competitive...........???????????????, at least from a network point of view.

I think that software firewalls are easier for people without sysadmin experience, and generally look after themselves once you have set the initial rules. And they still block a lot of stuff.

I think that one important feature is to make sure that your firewall(s) will INTERCEPT OUTGOING TRAFFIC...........something like " no point catching trojan horses if the stable door isn't bolted"

Also, please check on compatibility with your AV product........my McAfee doesn't like Zone Alarm...($$$$$$$$$$$$$???????????????), so I manually launch ZA afterwards, and it catches stuff before McAfee has a chance to squeak.

Just my 0.02

Good Luck

Thumbs up

The firewalls that we like are as follows:

1. SonicWall SOHO3 10/node for a small environment www.sonicwall.com
    2. Check Point Software-SofaWare boxes. www.checkpoint.com
    3. Netgear-

SonicWall is most expensive but offers VPN, Content filtering, Anti-Virus scanning at the gateway as well as other features.

Check Point-Sofaware-Same as above but costs range from $99.00 ~ 199.00

Netgear-Low-end but nice for around $149.00 or less

Best of luck.

DarkCarniv0l

deerfield visnetic firewall
    agnitum firewall pro
    I have no experience with deerfield visnetic.

I have used Outpost though (the free version mind you), and I hadn't had a problem until about two or three weeks ago. I hit the block all/stop all tab (whichever it's named), and I was still able to connect to the internet. Very strange. I even cleared all of the applications that were allowed, hit block all again and I was still able to connect. I had never run into that problem before with Outpost and I had been using it for atleast a few months. Just thought I would throw that in, i'm not sure if it was a fluke thing or not though.

Even still now with Sygate (free version) every couple of days or so the screen flickers, the icons on my desktop disappear briefly and I can no longer see the Sygate icon in the active icons section of my toolbar. Perhaps I need to purchase these apps eventually?!

I must say though, the features that Outpost provides are the most appealing to me; I'd bet money the pro version is even sweeter.

Just my personal experiences with Outpost.

~FrWk

This may be "off-topic"

Framework...............are you running Spybot Search & Destroy and AdAware 6.0?

Your comments sound like you might have something naughty on your machine..........I was just a little concerned.

Also, what OS are you using and version of Internet explorer?...........I have had a few weird crashes recently, just wondered if they might be related?

Cheers

BTW....yes I know this probably looks like a PM....it isn't...I am looking at a general problem that Framework and I seem to be sharing?...so might a number of others?

cheers

Framework...............are you running Spybot Search & Destroy and AdAware 6.0?

Your comments sound like you might have something naughty on your machine..........I was just a little concerned.
    Like a cocaine addict; latest builds and everything.

I also run AVG, TheCleaner, Tauscan, check system processes regularly; nothing is turning up.

Edit: I believe I have the latest version of IE, but I almost never use it, I always use Mozilla. I only use IE when I need to get my windows updates. I'm using XP home.