Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: is there a free downloadble antivirus?

cool
    i\'m desperate to crack this network security and start chatting here at the office!

Hi Pixelrockchick,

Please do not even consider "pirate" security software...............that is sort of like hiring an armed robber to guard your bank, or supermarket?

You might like to do a google search for H+BEDV's antivir It is reasonably competent, and free to private users. I would go for grisoft's AVG though, given a choice

Unfortunately, you do not mention your operating system, so there are a few other things that I cannot recommend, as I do not know if they will work on your machine.

Please look for AdAware6 from lavasoft and SpyBot Search & Destroy. These should be kept updated (they have options inside them to do this), and run after every internet session. They find and kill stuff that antivirus products frequently do not.

I hope that this helps

BTW......Weaver_x7....I run 3.1x......................I even have 2.03 running on an HP 286 with DOS 5.0..........nothing like the old Norton product though.........Windoze did not mature until 3.0

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    I am sure in all of the umpteen responses prior to this all of the great free AV packages have been mentioned. If you are looking for one-stop shopping for free AV you can go to my Free Tools section on my About.com site though. Click here: Free Antivirus Software

There is also:

Free Personal Firewall Software

Free Pop-Up and Messenger Spam Blocking Software

Free Intrusion Detection Software

and more here.... Free Tools

If you happen to notice any freeware applications that you have heard of or used that are missing, feel free to let me know and I will add them to the list.

EDIT:

Now reads..

GEt the legit Free softare.. not cracked commercial software.. If the software is that good PAY for IT.. Why? If every one pirates it.. the company goes broke.. no more good software.. EOS..

Cheers

BTW: Good onya \/iper
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    Now go to C:\Program Files\Network ICE\BlackICE\LICENSE.KEY click on it and open it with the wordpad and replace the code with this code xxxxxxxxxxx that will expand your trial untill year 2013.
    I would delete that post if I were you \/IP3R.

There are plenty of free products that do the job as well or better than many commercial products. Condoning illegal activity like pirating is unneccesary.

Blackice is only $40. If you just have to have it I would spring for the license rather than installing it illegally.

Viper,

Please edit your post and delete it...................you are a sitting target for those who have had the message that they give out too many positive antipoints

I have no doubt that your message was well intentioned, so please do not take this as criticism...I believe that your intentions were beyond reproach BUT....

Best way I have found for up to date freebie stuff is to beta test for them

Just my £0.02 worth

Cheers

Johnno

due all respect, I deleted the post sucessfully. my aplogies, I will make sure it will never happen again. Sorry guys. I probably need another faq's injection.

This is in my opinion one of the best i have rolled this out through my company http://www.opistat.com/mp/index.html the software is norman antivirus and this site is offering it free to people who comkplete there questionaire.

Hope this helps
    [pong][gloworange]665[/gloworange] Next door to the [glowpurple]devil[/glowpurple][/pong]

Last week i picked up McAfee AV-7.0 packaged with their firewall for $29. at Wal-Mart. Not a bad price at all for the pair. There are several others (Norton, Panda, WinCleaner) that i either have now on other boxes or that have run out their update cycle and have not been renewed because they didn't work just right. The price of a good firewall and AV program is a small price to pay if you don't like troubles from virus activity. Besides, if you don't take care of your own box, you can be a real problem for your friends. (virus invades your box, and uses your address book to replicate itself under the email names of your friends, who then start getting notices that their email was bounced because of attached virus... and they check their "sent" folders and they didn't send it and they wonder "WTH is going on...", and they can't figure it out, and there it was, neither you nor your friends know your unprotected box is the cause of the problem.) If everyone had an effective AV and firewall, including *businesses*, there would be a *lot* less problem with replicating virus eating up the bandwidth and slowing down the internet.
    Just my 2cents worth; bypass a night out and buy a good AV program with the change! (BTW, Wincleaner will be the next one to run out and be replaced with something else)

What about Avast at www.avast.com ?
    Steve H.
    http://www.besthvac.com/