Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Explorer dowload to get my firewall

Internet Explorer dowload to get my firewall

After a free upgrade from a friend, I installed windows ME, got everything working including my Internet (Cable LAN).

All up to today I could use internet explorer and go to various sites and download, but now I cant download anything. Internet still works but when I click a link to download, the window opens asking save/open, I can choose save or open it don't mater, and basicaly the download will sit at 0%, the speed and rated time left are not loaded. This was not hapening earlyer today.

Now because of this I cannot download my firewall. Now I had a firewall earlyer, outpost, decided to go back to kerio and put that in. since then I believe the problem started. No firewalls are loaded right now, I checked startup and everything and uninstalled all firewalls.

I tryed a system restore, i tryed varios restore points and all failed.

I thought ok I have netscape on a CD so I will install it, well screw that, its version 4.5 and as soon as you launch it, it forces you to create an acount and you must have a dialup, it has no option for LAN setup.

Could try puting windows ME CD back in and install again without format. Any ideas?

Greetings, Journy101!

Background processes *might* be interfering with IE's operations. Turn off the Anti-Virus, Win Doctor, Protected Recycle Bin, p2p's, and clean sweep. Does this fix the problem?

Doesn't sound like you have a firewall as of yet, but turn off any firewalls or ad-blockers of the sort.

Perform a repair of Internet Explorer. From Control Panel select Add/Remove Programs. Scroll down to Microsoft Internet Explorer and highlight it. Click on the Add/Remove button. When the IE Tools menu comes up, select Repair. Click OK.

[gloworange]If all else fails, download IE Radicator @ http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html (remember to backup your fav's first). Eradicate IE, and proceed to the next step.[/gloworange]

Reinstall IE. Boom. Should work.

Good Luck.
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

I have atached a screenshot of the problem plus my task list.

Ok i closed my antivirus and my other programs. In the CTRL-ALT-DEL only 4 items remaining, but yet the problem is still here.

Tryed repair internet Explorer, and reboot, but that failed to solve the problem either. Just finished installing windows ME again without format, and that did not solve either.

Corect there are no firewalls and now no antivirus. Tasklist looks prity empty.

I was gona get IE Radicator but I can't download anything, catch 22.

I would prefer not to format. Any other Ideas?

One thing

I'm not sure if you went to Windows Update and downloaded the most recent version of IE 6 or not. Since it is web based it might let you download the updates. I'm not sure but if it works then there you go.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

I've seen this happen before...

When I would download, the progress bar and the status never updated, but the download continued. To confirm that this is happening... save something to a temp folder and open an explorer window. Refresh the screen and use the detailed view to see if the file size increases.

Try to update IE and the OS as much as possible. Upgrading from IE5.5 to IE6sp1 solved my problem.

Oh, BTW: for m$ boxes, if you ever pull down large files and want to keep better tabs on them... use a download manager. I use fresh download from fresh devices. It is free with NO spyware but they do require you to register with them. I have gotten no spam from them as of yet and I've been using it for over 6 months. It will give you a status on your downloads AND if your download was to be interrupted... you can start where you left off... you don't have to start all over again.

http://www.freshdevices.com/

Had done windows update earlyer today with IE SP1 and cirticle updates.

I tyed your teqnique for seeing if progress bar is not refrshing but is downloading. I opened Windows Explorer, created a C:\Temp and went to get a small 431kb download from www.webattack.com. I got my C:\Temp opened in explorer and kept hitting refresh for one minute, it remains a 0 byte folder with no files unfortunately.

So it seems that the progress bar is ok, and that the file stream is not being opened or something.

Its realy confuseing, well anyway I went back to system restore and finaly got it to restore. The date i restored to yesterday, so at that point my windows updates are gone. So I go back to do a windows update, but not luck still.

Im concidering formating but I formated yesterday and would prefer not to do it again any time soon. But if It comes down to it I will.

Scandisk has no errors, didn't think that would make a difernce but i did one, and the defrag is done too.

any other sugestions?

Check to see that you don't have any incorrect settings in your IE settings...

Tools --> internet options --> connections --> lan settings.

change to reflect environment. If you're not using a proxy, uncheck use proxy and make sure that automatically find is checked off.

Also, check to see that you have downloads enabled.

Tools --> internet options --> security --> custom

browse to the downloads section, and make sure that it is enabled.

You can also default the settings and that should enable downloads again.

LAN settings ok, tryed both automaticaly detect settings as sugest by my isp, and with it unchecked, makes no difernce. Not useing any proxy. Looks ok.

For IE Options>Security I checked and under Downloads> File Download> Enable

Looks ok for those settings.

Earlyer I forgot to mention I tryed Restore Defaults and Reset Web Settings but made no difernce, just tryed it again, and same.

Any other thoughts or things to try?

Were you able to download with the download manager? I know I've had problems in the past with my MTU not being set correctly...

You can tweak your MTU via registry ... or Dr. TCP.

Can't download anything, can't get any download manager : (

Im gona play with the registry settings in your first link now, however I noticed the Dr. TCP link also has downloads in which I also can't get.