making a program a service

Thread: making a program a service

making a program a service

i`m trying to find out how to make a program into a service on win nt.
    it is so i can run the router software and firewall without haviing to log in.
    i know theirs a way i just cant rember how, their dosn`t seem to be anything about it on the forums here nor on microsofts site.
    i`ll be very gratefull for any assistance.
    mark

Hey Hey...

I posted a tutorial on making DSL into a Service on XP. As far as I know it also works on 2k. The basics are there for any of the NT based OS's.. You'd just need to change the command used from the RAS Dialer to the .exe you want used as the server. You can check it out here

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=244583
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

thanks HTRegz for that, its what i was tring to remember.
    having a bit of trouble with it starting though. i set the service to log on as a system account but it dosn`t run, i know that the program require adminisrators rights to run so should i just set the service to log on as a administrator account? would their be any security implications with doing that?
    mark

Yes there would. Any succesful exploitation aimed at the program will run under its security context, in this case as an admin, unless you are VERY VERY sure of the programs security and integrity I suggest you create an account for the service and provide only the access it needs. If it MUST run as admin then you may have to make a choice based on the service provided versus your risk management strategy.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

i tried the method of setting the service to run under an administrator account yet it still dosn`t run. I noticed that their are services with the programs names already set to run autmatically but they don`t actually run the programs before i log on. Because i do not have to worry about any local attacks on the computer i was thinking of setting it up to log on automatically under a account with administrators rights but setting the rights for that account so it cannot be connected to remotely. i`d like to know if anyone can think of any probs with that solution?
    mark