Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix drawbacks?

Knoppix drawbacks?

Hey guys/gals,

- just d/l a copy of knoppix (very cool)...
    - i like it soo much, i was wondering what the drawbacks were with using a bootable linux. Can i save data, What's it doin' does it create a partition... I'm reading up on it now... But am very curious as to how some of you feel about it, and not only knoppix... but any bootable OS...

-peace
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Knoppix is excellent, its great for data recovery, sorting stuff out your locked out of and other stuff.

You can save data, you have to save it on to an already set up partition, you can save your data into linux or windows OS you should see a HD on the knoppix desktop and you can save into here,

You can save to floppy and USB drives but i reckon you knew that

No partitions are created to my knowledge its just runs from the ram, like the floppy linux distros.

I think bootable OS are great, no long install times, there just there, great if you were making an embedded system to control your house or a robot,

If the boxes secuirty is comprimised just reboot and its fixed,

The embedded systems interest me and im gonna create my own bootable when i get time, possiblly to control my room

best of all is it runs on load of box specs, i think it works on old pent 1 and possibly 486's

if your into wardriving have a look at warlinux, got software to break WEP encryptions its wicked

I havent come across any drawbacks ive been using bootables since febuary and i can only say good things about them, they get the job done, simple

for anyone that hasnt used one i recommended them, they dont need any install and run straight from your computer, great for people wanting to try linux

should start a project to make the AO secuirty tools bootable, for auduiting, saying that theres a lot of secuirty tools included with knoppix

I also recommend the knoppix forums, cant remember the address may be something like www.knoppix.de

i2c

The knoppix forum is http://www.knoppix.net/forum/
    I like knoppix very much it is a modification of debian. It is great if you want to learn to use linux and not mess with your current OS. It is slower as it runs from your cd and resides in RAM. If you like knoppix you can install it to your Hard drive as well. Search the forums for the knx-hdinstall command and it will give you a step-by-step walkthrough on how to install to HDD. Just remember always back up and if you need any help on something specific you can message me. Your question is pretty vague. If you get more specific on what you really want to do then I-we will be able to give you more info. How I feel about it, I like it. What are drawbacks? Speed. I tried it like you did and I loved it so I installed it to my hard drive. It auto detects everything and works well. Now for i2c if you want a distro that works like knoppix with security tools you might want to check out knoppix-std, Just use it for good and not to try to hack the possibility to do good or evil are there. The site to knoppix-std is here std stands for security tools distribution. http://www.knoppix-std.org/

I also like the knoppix distro. They are great for on the go OSs.

For example... At school and work, all we have to use is XP or 2k. What if I don't want to use those OSs? Why should I be forced to? I can tunnell over ssh and use vnc to login to my home box.. but that can be slow.

I can just pop in the knoppix disk, load my prefs. from a flash drive and I'm off. One thing that I don't like is that you can't really change things around too much. I prefer the hard drive install of a *nix box. I had been using RH for quite a while and have played with several other distros. I like RH better than all the rest... but its all personal preferences.

Knoppix-std is my overall favorite bootable distro. You don't get all those tools from any other distro and installing them all can be time consuming not to mention configuring it all. The only thing I don't like about it is how slow it can be to load. I know it is because it is loading from CDROM to RAM... Just make sure you don't try to run open office or any other large application. It takes FOREVER to load!

I'm going to look into installing knoppix-std to HD. I didn't realize that it was possible to install to HD or I would have done that a long time ago. It is by far the best security toolkit I have seen yet. I know there are tons of propritary toolkits out there that will do the same stuff... but come on now! Who wants to pay for all the crap you can have for free?!

Thanks for that info gamernewbie and you'll probably be getting a PM or two from me regarding the knoppix to HD install... if I get stuck.

No problemo dude I have installed it on a few computers but mostly my laptop. Nothing like taking this to a client's network and testing vulnerabilities so that they know what they are up against and in turn they trust that you can make it better and are willing to pay you without questioning because they see what can happen. ABout the PMs go for it dude. I am glad to see I might be able to help someone from a board where I have received much knowledge.

there was a bit of a discussion about knoppix here -> http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hlight=knoppix

and also the version of it for security peps

v_Ln

This is a bit out of context...

But its handy to have FloppyLinux too.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

yea floppy linux is cool to,

You can even put linux on them USB pens and boot from them i believe, which is pretty cool,

yep that was it knoppix-std, with the tin of meat in the top left hand corner on there website, i completly forgot about it in fairness...

i2c

Knoppix-STD rules

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    On a similar note:

I carry around a credit card sized bootable CD in my wallet and for it's size its fantastic - even comes with an X server, nmap, ettercap & dsniff.

http://www.lnx-bbc.com/

Very cool.

There's also a smaller footprint distro of knoppix called Morphix which will fit on an 8cm CD

http://morphix.sourceforge.net/

Size is important!

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com