Need help connecting to the internet

Thread: Need help connecting to the internet

Need help connecting to the internet

I need to network all my computers to a cable modem. Is there a good tutorial or does anyone want to help me. I plan on using a hub and pluging the the modem directly to the hub or is it better to go through one of the computers. thanks
    sandwich.

FYI- this is the wrong forum to post in.

If you want to share your Inet connection, you will need a gateway. Your gateway can be either a router or another machine. You can't just use a hub.

Check out

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/

Pretty good walkthroughs there for sharing with another machine if you don't want so spring for the router.

All you need is a simple router, I have a linksys router with a built in hub. Basically the router will be hooked up to your cable modem, and it will get your ip from there. All of the computers you hook up to the hub/router will be using NAT (network address translation) so that they can all share the one IP. Basically, just plug it in and your set, not much help needed really. Remember to log into your router and change your default password and such as told in your instruction manual.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

To add to this I use a belkin router and it has a very user friendly setup to it. I was also able to connect switchs and routers too it too.

Doc

another method if you got spare box lying around world be to use that as a router. You wouldn`t need a monitor or keyboard for it once it was up and running. theirs routing software for windows but linux is the cheapest and proberly more secure. personally i have a NT4 box with a couple of networking cards running a firewall and router, the box is connected to a hub which my other computers connect to.
    mark

You dont need routing software at all. You are not exchanging routing updates with anyone ...Just get a cheap box with 2 NIC cards and any OS (Linux or Windows) that will allow you to share one public address..

hey gunit0072003 how would you connect a network to a broadband modem then?
    i have my modem connected into one network card and another network card connected to a private network. I`m using WinNT4, i searched for a way to do it through windows itself but could not find any soloutions, i`m using a SYGATE product to route the computers on the private network to the internet.
    I`d be very intrested to know about a way to do it purely through WinNT itself without having to use any aftermarket software.
    mark

ICS
    internet connection sharing is one way ( although windows is soo buggy)

Also, I think you are confusing terminology here, You have routing mixed up with NAT/PAT..

Two different animals

cheers

yea but windows NT4 dosn`t have ICS as far as i know.
    their dosn`t seem to be any way apart from aftermarket programs on NT.
    mark

I think the initial question was how to share multiple PCs with one public address, not how to do it with NT. Im not sure if NT supports it or not, I know win98, win2000 does.

But the point here is .routing and NAT are two different technologies.....