The Security+ Certification Course?

Thread: The Security+ Certification Course?

Question The Security+ Certification Course?

I have been wondering about this new course called Security+ is it any good? I am in the military and I am planning for my future. I have 10 years of computer experice and I am a complete nerd lol. And also a navy corpsman for the marines.

Anyways. I was just wondering if anyone had any experince with this course? Does it teach you how to hack? Or counter hack? I mean how can you beat a hacker if your not one. I have been trying to get into the security seen deeper now.

Thanks!
    Doc

In my opinion, it is one of Comptia's better certifications they have come out with.
    It is very nice introduction to network security..

See for curriculum
    http://www.ffg.com/products/security.asp

And no they dont teach you how to hack, I understand what you are asking, but you need to pose your question differently next time. You will learn the fundamentals to get you started..

Cheers.

Lol I apoligize for that. I have 2 years left in the military and I am trying to prepare for my future. They have free courses online and trying make sure I have a good foundation for a job in computers. I love working with them and I love learning more. I love to experment with new systems and new parts. I build all my own stuff. And quest for more knowlage. ( and I can't spell lol).

Doc

Well you've come to the right place, stick around and you will meet some of the brightest people in the industry. There is a lot of knowledge here ( tutorials, past threads) that will keep you busy for a while..

I myself is amazed of the collaborative efforts of so many different people with multifaceted skills that contribute to this site.

Welcome aboard
    Cheers

Thank you very much! Its an honor to be here.

Doc

Security+ is like gunit said, one of CompTias better certifications. It will not teach you to hack, though it will show you some of the DOS attacks, and a little bit of everything. It is mainly a certification that cover the general overview of attacks, risk identification, physical security, different DOS, and good explanations on different phases of gathering information. If you plan on studying for this cert, i recommend the Security+ Book by Syngress, pretty good read, and very good coverage for the exam. Exam is 100 questions, you can only miss 15 of them, very ambigous questions for some, make sure you know your async/sync hashs/encrypt and the different types of attacks. Alot is covered on the exam, but you can do it :-)
    \"Common Sense, isn\'t that common\"
    \"It is a lot easier to raise a child then it is to repair an adult\"
    -Kruptos

Wow thank you again!

Doc.

Working on Server+ right now.