Linux+ Course any good for a newb?

Thread: Linux+ Course any good for a newb?

Linux+ Course any good for a newb?

Is Linux+ Course any good? I belive this is a new course. I have been wanting to install linux for a long time now but I have no idea how to use it. I was wondering if anyone would know if this course would be a good stepping stone for using linux.

Thank you,
    Doc

I don't know about the linux+ course, but I have been using various distros of linux for the past three years. I have read books, online tutorials and talked to friends that use the linux OS. The best advice I can give is get a machine in which it dosn't matter if data gets destroyed (don't us your work pc) install linux and have fun. Older slower machines work great (that's the beauty of linux.) Distros like Red Hat and Mandrake are especially easier to install right out of the box. Once you feel comfortable working with these distros, try installing others, or using the custom installation. Anyway you do it, the best way to learn linux is through trial and errror. Good Luck

DeafLamb

Hmm.... I like that idea very much. Only problem is I destroyed my last mb testing a friends system out. He screwed the mobo directly to the case with no stand offs and fried the board and prosser.

After I tryed testing his prosser. I relized what he had done but it killed my test board.

What about downloading a copy of linux from there site? Or should I just buy the cd's? Im trying to opt for the cheapest method. Due to small pockets being in the military.

Thanks,
    Doc

The best way I have found is downloading the images for the cd's. Company I used to work for would buy the distros from the store, I never found anything on the bought copies that couldn't be found on the net (excluding tech support). As for tech support, its not really needed. If you are comfortable working with the inner guts of a system, than you should be ok with the vast amounts of free documentaion on the web. I have yet to have a question that couldn't be answered with a couple of clicks on the net.

Hmm... Sounds good. I live inside the computer lol. As soon as I can get a cheap system up and running again I will get linux on it and play with it. Thanks for all your help guys. Also what are minimum system requerments for linux?

Thanks,
    Doc

Until you have a spare machine to mess with...

Use knoppix or knoppix-std. They are live linux distros that run from CDROM and RAM. No need to install and they are great for learning on. It will just be a bit slower. I think SuSE also has a live distro. Check out thier site and downloads secition or the link below.

www.linuxiso.org is a good place to download distros from.

You can get knoppix-std from www.knoppix-std.org

The difference between the two:

Knoppix standard. Normal user/learning distro. Not much on here that you will not find on almost every other distro.

Knoppix-std (security tools distro). Has tons of security tools to play around with. Just make sure to do this on your own network... so you don't get yourself into any trouble. There are plenty of tools on that distro than can be used for both good and bad. You can get yourself into some serious problem if you choose to use them in a wrong way.

Linux+ course or Certification has actually been out for a while. If you are going to study for it and wend some advice, go with the Sybex Press book for the Linux+ cert. It has very good coverage for the exam, and it will teach you what you need to know to get started with Linux. Also, dont stop there, pick up some books , or google search some tutorials, I was once a windows jedi, but I have converted to the Penguin side of the force.

P.S. Please trust me on the book, I teach Certification courses for a living, I know it works :-)
    \"Common Sense, isn\'t that common\"
    \"It is a lot easier to raise a child then it is to repair an adult\"
    -Kruptos

Wow. Thanks.

If you have never used Linux before, your best bet IMO is to go to a bookstore (Barnes and Noble, Waldenbooks, whatever) and buy a copy of Red Hat Linux 9 Unleashed. It comes with the publishers edition of RH 9 and a huge, easy to understand book. I believe it costs about $50
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.