Thread: 3 O.S. on 1 hd

Question 3 O.S. on 1 hd

Hello,
    I finely got my new computer set up. I got xp on an 80g hd. I pulled my 2nd hd from the old computer and it is a 60g hd. I had Suse8.1 on it. Now I've downloaded RH9 and Slackware9 from the internet. Burned the CD's and they look good. thehorse13 said on another thread to redo the hd with Slakeware9 1st then Suse8.1. He said it would work better, because Suse8.1 plays nice when setting up O.S.'s on a hd. Well, now I want to put RH9 on the hd too. So, which one should I load 1st? Should I have the boot set up on the 1st hd which has xp on it? Last time I put the boot on the same drive with Suse. Is it better that way or is it better with the boot on the 1st hd? I feel there is less chance of xp messing up the *nix or *nix messing up the xp OS. Any insight would be great. Oh, I have not loaded any of the *nix OS's to the hd yet. Thanks

Freddy
    cybnut

Load Windows first, but make sure you partition the disc correctly beforehand.

Slarty

why u want to install all linux version?
    Lord Xavier,
    Cyberdelia Technologies,
    (Wholly owned by Cyberdelia Group).

Linux distributions have different flavors in other words files may be placed in different places and one might like certain distros better than others for certain things. That in my opinion is why someone would want to install different distros. As for installing in order always install xp first because if you install linux first there are always more chances that xp will mess up your linux install. Don't know why it happens but it has happened to me a few times. You might want to look at http://www.osloader.com/ It allows you to make it more gui type os loader if you are new to this type of thing.

Thanks for the replys. I will be putting the *nix OS's on a different HD. The XP has it's own HD. All three *nix OS's will be on a different HD. These are the quetions I have:

1) Which *nix should I load 1st, Suse8.1, RH9, or Slackware9? (all of which will be on their own hd together)

2) Where should I load the boot, on the 1st HD with the XP or on the 2HD were the 3 different *nix's will be? (Suse8.1 wanted to put it on the HD with the xp)

Thanks, Freddy
    cybnut

Why stop at 3 OS's when you can have 37. http://www.maximumpc.com/features/fe...002-09-24.html
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Now that's a little crazy. I just wanted to see which one I liked and get some experance with them. I'm just looking for some good advice. Thanks.

Freddy

http://www.maximumpc.com/features/f...2002-09-24.html
    cybnut