Thread: Windows 2000 Reebooting

Talking Windows 2000 Reebooting

The 411:
    I have in front of me a windows 2000 compaq pii

When it boots windows it goes past the original screen with the progress bar along the bottom then goes to the next screen Background before login then it reeboots.

Any Suggestions ?

MB _ "002

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Probably a silly question but you didn't indicate that you'd tried it but have you gone to safe mode?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

When it boots windows it goes past the original screen with the progress bar along the bottom then goes to the next screen Background before login then it reeboots.
    I had a box that was doing the exact same thing. Ocassionally I was getting BSODs. Turned out it was the memory had gone bad. Although, there could be hundreds of reasons that this is happening to you. Update any drivers lately? Apply any other updates lately? If you can get to safe mode, check out your event viewer. If not, try to get to a command prompt with networking, and use dumpel to retrieve your logs. (if you have another machine to use).

I had the same thing happen to me when I tried to upgrade my video card from an nvidia 4600 to a 5200, turns out the MB didnt like agp8 and wanted the memory in slots 1 and 3 instead of slots 1 and 2.

A bios update fixed my problems for the most part...

Check your bios stuff, and did you upgrade/change hardware or software recently? Safe mode may still work, it didn't for me because it was bios that was having issues.

Let us know

AO French Antique News Whore
    CPU too hot?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

CPU too hot?
    That could be a cause... although that normally happens after the box has been running a while. After it does shutdown, it will continue to do so until it cools down.

Since he reboots after trying to login... I think the problem will be software related... Sounds like drivers got corrupt or an update gone bad.

Had that problem after SP4 installation on a few PC @ work.

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...?/10084921.htm
    I did not do it.