Thread: Is this right???

Old Fart

Is this right???

Man charged in skimpy swimsuit case
    Associated Press

CADDO VALLEY, Ark. - A man's skimpy swimsuit was too much - or too little - for Taco Bell workers.

Employees at Taco Bell called police Sunday when the man walked into the restaurant wearing only a tiny black Speedo swimsuit and a cut-off T-shirt during the Labor Day weekend.

Caddo Valley Police Chief Hiram Latin said his attire, or lack thereof, was a little too revealing.

"He was inappropriately dressed for a restaurant," said Latin. He said the man had left his clothes at a lake.

The man faces a $750 fine and possible jail time if convicted of indecent exposure.

According to Arkansas law, a person can be charged with indecent exposure if "he knows his conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm."

Police ticketed the man and took photos of him in the Speedo, for use in court.

As much as I despise Speedos, this was just a wee bit disturbing to me. It seems that if this man is found guilty, then a door is opened that could allow that state to dictate a dress code which is, IMO, totally unacceptable. I have NO DOUBT that if the offender had been a female wearing a cutoff shirt and bikini bottom, not a word would have been said.

Original story here.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

i hope someone told him he wasn't welcome in taco bell dressed in a swimsuit. Each community has a right to decide whats decent and whats indecent. i mean no one forces anyone to be someplace. If he dosn't like the standards....go someplace else. if he was warned and did it anyway he deserves what he gets.

its not that im a prude, i go to gathering where clothing is optional. i dont like the feeling of sweat running down my body or being scratched by everything i pass so i prefer clothes. but the point is its acceptable there. if a community decides they want a certain degree of dress it should be respected.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I have to admit, the local community does get to say what is and is not acceptable dress in public. It is this that sets us apart as a society. We have to all realise that not everyone wants to see a Burrito Bel Grande other than the one on teh menu.

I am bothered by this also. How can this be "indecent exposure"? I mean - the guy was completely covered (even though you could tell his religion from 30 paces) and no part of his "bits" were visible according to the article (didnt mention any dangling participles).

I would not personally go into a Taco bell dressed like that - I have too much concern for my fellow man to disrupt their day like that.

For that matter - how'd the guy get there? Couldn't he have gone thru the drive thru???
    Where\'s the ka-booom?
    There was supposed to be an earth-shattering ka-booom!

The police were doing there job, I may not think it's right but the police can't just ignore a call from concerned citizens. Taco Bell is private property and his presence caused enough of an uproar to warrant a call from police. LOL, it's funny and I kind of feel sorry for the dude. Hell all he wanted was some food.

He was ticketed and I bet that is the last you see of it once the prosecuting attorney sees it. It's not the cop’s job to interpret the full extent of those laws that may govern dress codes. You do realize there are already dress codes in effect. "No shoes, No shirt, No Service" You can’t walk into a restaurant without shoes, it’s just not accepted in most areas of the country. Heck it might even be a health code violation.

I don’t know if I agree with the statement that if a woman came in the police wouldn’t have been called. I guess if all the Taco Bell workers were fat ugly ladies and the patrons were mostly married women with children present, I don’t think a lady dressed the same way would get away with it. I think it would depend on the audience, and hell the dude might have been a total ******* to everyone for all we know.

This is a great story actually. You have to think, “Where the heck did this come from.” Kentucky. I happen to know for a fact that in some smaller Kentucky communities they have a stricter sense of what is acceptable. So now we’re back to the community standards argument.

//EDIT The story was reported on Kentucky.com but is from a city in Arkansas, even worse for tight knit communities with higher standards from my perspective and travels I think the term "bible belt" is appropriate.//EDIT
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

As far as rejecting his buisiness, I could agree. But calling the police??? My opinion is that you should have to have a permit to wear skimpy cloths, but thats not the case. You can wear practically nothing almost at any beach in the US. You can then walk away from that beach wearing still next to nothing. So how is it indecent exposure if he's not exposed? If it's inaproprate for that resturant, deny him service, simple as that. No need for a fuss about it. But if that is considered indecent exposure, look out beaches!
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Smartass comment here I have seen alot of signs that say "Shirt and shoes required" but they do not say anything about pants. But he should of at least wrapped a towel around his body or at least put his pants back on.
    That which is eternal cannot die.

Lol True, there isn't a mention about pants on those signs! It does seem extreme that the police were called. I would venture a guess that he refused to leave.

Does anyone have a link to pictures of him???
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I have NO DOUBT that if the offender had been a female wearing a cutoff shirt and bikini bottom, not a word would have been said.
    HAHA! That's 100% right. Not only that, but I bet her meal woulda been free!
    Space For Rent.. =]