No server of any kind ?

Thread: No server of any kind ?

Post No server of any kind ?

This is just something that has been bugging me.. Well I know that this isn't my ISP i am speaking with at the moment heh , but on the COA of my ISP (Certificate Of Authenticity) it clearly states that you are not allowed to run a server of any kind... It sais prohibit server listening of TELNET,FTP,PROXY,DHCP,PPP. I contacted them about this and they said that it hogs too much bandwith on our nodes and I could be selling the service to someone else.. I mean i really don't see much of a problem with running a little sshd for remote connections.. Other people are welcome to express their opinions and/or correct my confusion on maybe why they won't allow servers listening on your system... Thanks
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

My isp doesn't allow servers either. The reason for this is that I and mabey you have home broadband services, instead of business class broadband. Basically, your paying for the minimum service, so that's what you'll get, a ton of restrictions making sure your not getting more then you pay for. I know I can upgrade my service for a substancial fee, although I have no reason to. I could be wrong, but this is how it is for me.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

I can run anything I want on my broadband account, provided I'm not breaking the law (e.g. running an FTP server with lots of illegal MP3s or warez) and I don't disrupt the service for other users. Basically, my ISP doesn't care so long as I don't cause trouble (which is one of the main reasons why I chose them as my ISP).

However, a lot of ISPs don't want you running servers, because of the security risk and they don't want people asking technical questions about BIND, DNS, FTP etc.

If you want to run servers, either upgrade your account to one that allows it, or vote with your feet and change your ISP (or even check with your current ISP - with mine you can't run mail services but if you ask they'll enable the correct ports).
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

With my ISP I'm not sure about the servers thing, but I'd run one anyway. I'd stop though if they started having problems with me. I'm paying to have one computer connected to their DSL service. If I want more than 1 computer on DSL, then they want me to play them $60 a month plus $100 for a router they provide.

So what I did is just bought my own router and hooked all 3 of my computers to the DSL. Its kinda stupid I think about them wanting to charge you an extra $20 a month for one more computer. I can understand them charging a buisness, but not a home user.
    =

I'm not allowed to run web servers, ftp, etc. My ISP don't offer support for running a home network but they allow it. As for why - well that's pretty much been answered by pwaring

talking of which... pwaring - what ISP you on? I might be interested in switching to yours! Would you PM me if you don't feel like putting it on the board? Cheers!

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Zonewalker: I'm on Nildram at the moment, but I'm thinking about possibly switching to Eclipse because they're cheaper. I'll be phoning a couple of companies tomorrow to see what their prices/features are (especially to see if they will let me run servers and have a static IP, since that's incredibly important for me).

The only thing that I really like about Nildram is that I can use my broadband account on any ADSL-enabled line, not just at one address, or so I've heard (have yet to try this, but I'm pretty sure it's possible/allowed). This means that all I have to do is pay the ADSL activation fee (about 60, inc vat) at a new residence and just take the broadband with me, in theory anyway!

cheyenne1212: I had a similar problem when I enquired about hosting at Computer World - they said you HAD to use their software and could only connect one computer, but what was to stop me using a router (which to them, and anyone else on the internet, would look like one computer) I don't know.

n01100110: a little sshd might not do much harm on its own, but can you imagine if *everyone* ran daemons/servers (unlikely, but it has to be atleast partially allowed for)? It would be an administrative nightmare for your ISP to keep tabs on everything.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.