Thread: No more Active X in Windows Update

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

No more Active X in Windows Update?

Today I had quite a scare. My end users asked when we started allowing Active X through the firewall. As you can image, I nearly dropped a pile on the spot.

Anyway, after examining the firewall, the Active X rule was still in place. I sniffed a windows update session which I confirmed no longer uses Active X controls, but instead, a mix of SSL and HTTP.

My guess is that the litigation over Active X has caused this *very* quiet change. For all you FW admins, don't panic when end users start asking why windows update suddenly works when you know that no firewall changes were made.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Hi there the horse13,

I would be very worried if my Users even knew about windows update

I would not allow any update without it being tested on reference machines, and a roll-out plan formulated?

Yours sounds like a kinda interesting environment?............I am referring to DoD/MoD/NATO environments BTW.

Cheers

My environment is very diverse, in that there are many levels to our architecture. Some levels are able to apply patches via windows update, others are not to be touched unless a patch has been certified (an in-house process that takes eons to complete).

My general population segment is where I allow windows update to take place (at least now that Active X is out of the picture). Besides, it is, for all intents and purposes, a test bed to see how certain apps respond to MS patches.

--TH13

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Thanks TH13,

Now I know why you speak so authoritatively in the Forum!..................using a part of the User community as lab rats................I LIKE it

Cheers & Good Luck

Johnno

Is Active X really out of the picture, or did they just tunnel it ?

I ran update while running netstat and only found ports 80 and 443 connected. But Update refused to continue unless I allowed Active X.

I was trying to find out what type of rule you were using to block it, found this:

COM Internet Services

Now I am confused.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

I use a plug-in from our FW manufacturer.

My initial guess was that they were tunneling Active X in but I was unable to grab the traffic before it was encrypted so your guess is as good as mine.

I did run across a number of articles that say they have dropped it because of litigation. I found one on Arstechnica that pretty much sums it up.

In case anyone is interested:
    http://arstechnica.com/archive/news/1062344128.html

Well I am not getting a runtime error on a couple of my machines when going to the Driver Update and Windows 2000 links on windows update. I guess they have some kinks to be worked out.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

What's the old saying? If you want something done right do it yourself....

Anyway, I have verified that Active X *is* being tunneled in via HTTPS. No good sneaky MS bastards!!

I ran a test personally and discovered what IKnowNot had proposed. Isn't it funny what happens when you disable all 5 Ative X settings in the browser?! I had a jr admin run the test and of course I got burned for trusting that he did it correctly.

Yes I was going to ask exactly how your firewall could detect ActiveX controls being sent via HTTPS.... it's difficult to do content scanning on content that it cannot decrypt.

Slarty