Thread: New Network Security Auditing Tool

New Network Security Auditing Tool

I am looking for programmers and anybody who knows network security (all of you ) that would like to help with a hopefully groundbraking project called 'Hack-A-Box.' The idea is to make an all inclusive, free, and possibly open source tool for network administrators to audit their security readily, and easily. Please PM(do not email because I do wont get to it enough) me if you are interested, or leave notes/ideas here. For security purposes and to stop skiddies it will only function on the network it is run on.

LOL.

No offense, but with a name like "Hack-A-Box," you're not going to do a very good job keeping the "skiddies" away.

It only going to be a local scanner? Not much ground to break there, as remote functionality is key to network auditors. Admins not only want to view problems locally, but also want a remote "birds-eye" view that will give them the chance to make adjustments to vulnerabilities an attacker may see.

You have good intentions, and I am only trying to assist you.

Good luck
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

I think I should just give up. The name is bad and I am only 16. The name not withstanding I did not want it to be remote to prevent abuse, like SATAN, and I think, SAINT. I suppose every tool has its flipside though. It was not supposed to be a scanner. I am just not good at explaining myself sometimes. The purpose was that an admin would target an IP(preferably their own) and it would scan it first look for vulnerabilities, and common exploits. It would then try to use the exploits or vulnerabilities and break into the network, while logging, so the admin would see what happened without having to invest large amounts of time in scanning, and probing, and attacking their own network. Please tell me if this would be a useful tool if not, just PM me, and kill the thread. I do not want to waste space.

No, believe me, I realize you have good intentions. In no way was I trying to put down your idea.

Realistically, though, it would proabably take years of experience in high-level languages to compile a program like that. Still, you're young, and like many of us, have thousands of opportunities ahead. I commend you for you're determination.

BTW, several all-inclusive auditers, like Retina from eEye, do everything. Retina even has this feature called CHAM (Common Hacker Attack Methods, I believe) which is supposed to test for well-known vulns.

Never give up!
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

Youd be reinventing the wheel and it would really be hard to compare with a tool like nessus but all things considered, its an excellant idea. you realize of course that to be of any use your exploits would have to be updated every week...you just dont make it and its made. This is a full time project but if you pull it off you could gain a pretty good reputation.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

That was sort of why I posted here because I would need help . Oh well. Maybe I will try something a little easier and work up to it. I wish I had more time and money so I could go millions of those security seminars and confrences so I could learn more. Thank you for the support though.