Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Brother in YOUR house!

I have seen software that loads and hides on your computer........If you do not change it, and it attempts an access to the internet via a different telephone number, it will call you on your home phone) and tell you the new number, and you call the cops.

The rest is quite technically possible, and is already being used on motor vehicles.........it costs money though?

We all know that quality is being sacrificed for price/cost so what manufacturer will include this other than an optional extra.

Another thought.............how do you tell the device that it is now "home"?, and what if you don't bother?.........is this Gates trying to justify his XP security crap.........costs me a phone call every time I have to re-install

Just a few thoughts

Originally posted here by CXGJarrod

The ones in California are supposed to not let you drink at all. But there were always news stories of drunks paying someone sober to breathe into the breathalizer so they could get home.
    See, that would kind of suck for the people who don't abuse it. If my house is 10 miles from my house and I have a couple of drinks (1 or 2) and given enough time(1-2hrs), I won't feel the buzz or have the BAC to be legally under the influence.

On campus the limit is .06 everywhere else, it is .10. I'm not sure of the difference though. 2 drinks could make you over the limit depending on your body weight, and food in stomach and etc.

nihil: I have heard about the phone home software for stolen laptops. Pretty nifty stuff.

The lowjack system for a car does cost quite a bit of money though. Insurance will cover the car... they just don't cover after market. So... if you have a phatty system or after market rims, or a body kit... it may be worth it to have the low jack system. Just hopefully they can locate it in time to before all your parts are ripped off.

I know of someone who had the system on their car because of how much $$ they put into aftermarket stuff. Rims, system, body kit, the whole shabang. The cops couldn't locate the car and never did. Insurance would only cover the car, and he lost the rest of the $$ for aftermarket.

With his new car... he just got a removable stearing wheel. Takes it off everytime he gets out of his car. Looks pretty goofy walking down the street with that hanging off his backpack.

Elite Hacker
    I think this technology could work if they did two things
    1. you had to call the cops if you see that something is stolen.
    2. If the device didn't work without the tracking chip.

Man **** putting that in cars. They think people speed to be syupid all the time. My best friend was doing 30 over the speed limit once taking someone to the ER. That chip wouldv prolly killed whoever it was, they couldnt call an ambulance and driving him there was the only way. With that chip they wouldnt have made it on time.

And theres no way Id wanna drive a car that wouldnt let me control anything. **** how they gunna know what road and speed limit is there anyway? Heh this would be great fun during construction on the freeways, anyone in Michigan knows the roads are always torn up, you could speed threw the slow zone and blame that you car did it on its own. I figure after 2 or 3 construction guys get whacked down theyd remove the damned things.

Originally posted here by gore
    Man **** putting that in cars. They think people speed to be syupid all the time. My best friend was doing 30 over the speed limit once taking someone to the ER. That chip wouldv prolly killed whoever it was, they couldnt call an ambulance and driving him there was the only way. With that chip they wouldnt have made it on time.

And theres no way Id wanna drive a car that wouldnt let me control anything. **** how they gunna know what road and speed limit is there anyway? Heh this would be great fun during construction on the freeways, anyone in Michigan knows the roads are always torn up, you could speed threw the slow zone and blame that you car did it on its own. I figure after 2 or 3 construction guys get whacked down theyd remove the damned things.
    They do put those GPS devices in some rental cars. They will automatically bill your account when you drive over the speed limit.

Edit: Here is the link to that story: http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,45163,00.html
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

ok i can see these chips being used to control inventory and such. they can be made in some third world nation and we could put a very large number of inventory control and warehouse people out of work that way...but outside of that its technology for technologies sake and should be kept in a lab somewhere under lock and key. then shoot the person that knows where the key is. why even bother to own something if its going to cause you so much worry. you know its just going to wind up tracking us all. the new market research tools would be in vans much like the neilson guys have. they'll catolog everthing you own so as better to serve you, this could add volumes to the NSA's total information awareness system.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    I believe what you are talking about is RFID tags. Walmart did put them in, but shortly removed them from the shelves . They want to use the in warehouses... not in the stores. Just for the testing. (The last time I read about it).

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/31461.html

http://auctionknowhow.com/articles/wmart.shtml

I have to say... since I have read about this... I have stopped shopping at walmart...
    I'm all about privacy... what little privacy we have left. Soon we will have none left...
    Sorry it took me awile to respond. I couldn't remember what the tags were called but the RFID sounds correct, mind you its been over a year since i read this article. And when this was in the article it was just in testing stages, but the cheaper tags and the tags that could be activated and deactivated were starting to be produced.

Unfortunately i dont have the magazine with me where i live now or i would dig it up and provide some reference. But from what i remember i dont think it was used for tracking consumer purchases, or for where products were located at, however with the technology with little application it would be easy to do.

Another thing this technology was supposively great for was dishonest store clerks. Apparently there is a way that some clerks can pass a product over the scanner without scanning it, but deactivating the tag, thus getting free merchandise and this was to be the end all for that due to the deactivation.

I might have got off topic with the RFID tags but i thought it would be an interesting tidbit into the conversation!

Have a great day!

Originally posted here by gore

Lol, that's probably not really supposed to be funny but it is! I laugh every time I see stuff like this because it shows how people just don't think. Technology comes out faster than people know what to do with it, and this is a good example of a bad possibility of what could happen if we don't stop to think stuff through. Lmao, can you imagine being in a car that you have no control over when you just mow some poor road guy down? That would seriously suck....

Hell yea its meant to be funny. Id be laughing in the court room while they tried getting me for trying vehicular manslaughter, and when they asked why I was laughing, Id point out that "I had no control over the car because your more worried about people speeding than dying.

I think this kinda **** is why I was only in a court room once, for about 10 minutes. They got tired of me quick because I'm not stupid and wouldnt bend over for them. Personally when I drive, I actually know how to drive fast AND safe. Most people speeding dont realize that when your going 100 MPH, you do NOT need to turn the wheel as much to switch lanes as when your doing for example 50 MPH.

Half the time I'm driving, the closest I get to hitting a car is when Im looking to make sure Im doing the speed limit, ****ing bastard cops, Id prolly never have a close call if I was alloud to just speed. Looking down at the ****ing thing to see how fast I'm going when I do WAY better just driving and watching the road. Why did we let people this ****ing stupid get power?