Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mobile Phone Viruses

I have seen some JAVA games on Kazaa labled "Worms".
    Did not d/l them as im not interested but my thoughts were..If i save something in my computer that is designed for Symbian O/S that runs Nokia 3650 phone will Norton's pick it up?

All the games are either "SIS" or "JAR" games.

AV software runs by looking at each file on the HD for specific virus signatures. It'll look at a file and see if this, that, and those are here, there, and wherever. If they are, then it's this virus, that worm, or whatever. If the markers are all in place in the file based on the definition norton has, it will identify it. Some AV software also has limited "artificial intelligence", even if the virus hasn't been defined yet, the program may still be able to identify something as a virus based on other more general markers.

Unfortunately, if the virus is designed for the phone's OS, odds are that there won't be as many markers present that can identify it as dangerous. Depending on the file of course. Scriping languages (Java, etc.) are far easier to identify as possibly dangerous than something written in obscure machine code.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

windows and viruses go hand in hand v din't have any mobile phone virus untill microsoft introduced windows os

tejaswyappalla,

A little off-topic but whatever,

The main reason that Windows has so many problems with viruses and whatever, is the simple fact that it is the most common OS. Just about everybody who has a computer, either has or has had Windows on it (Not counting Mac of course). This propagation has allowed more holes to be found, more viruses to be written etc.

Next time, only post if it's completely on track with the thread. In this case Cell Phone viruses. You'll learn the ropes as you go through AO, it's a cool place to chat, and most of us are friendly.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Thanks D0pp139an93r
    You have settled a thought i had.

Was thinking as their is no Antivirus programs for use with the phone when using WAP everything i have installed onto it was first saved on my computer.
    Hoping Norton AV would pick anything up?