Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avoid the RIAA - Keep Freedom FREE

Avoid the RIAA - Keep Freedom FREE

I'm going to write this tutorial because there is a lot of confusion regarding RIAA's investigative techniques and what to do to keep free from getting a subpoena.

Firstly, don't share! That’s the only way to truly avoid being caught, but that’s not the way that I agree with so here it goes.

The RIAA is focusing its investigations on the major file sharing networks like Kazaa, Limewire, Morpheus. If you have a significant amount of music shared they will find your username and subpoena your ISP for your contact information.

One way to avoid this and to keep file sharing alive is to only share your high demand mp3s. Through all the articles that I've read the magic number seems to be around 200 songs. So don't share much more than that. Most of the people getting sued currently seem to have around 1000+ available for share. This is not necessary. Half of the crap people share is pointless. Only share the most popular/high demand songs.

Next...Don't use the traditional file sharing programs. www.zeropaid.com is a good resource for new file sharing news and programs.

Some programs that are exceptionally good:

E-mule www.emule-project.com == Uses a different network that is not currently being investigated, although the queue times are somewhat long, the product is usually high quality and worth the wait.

Kazaa-Lite www.k-lite.tk == Uses one of the investigated networks but has the option to disable sharing. I wouldn't recommend this b/c w/o shares there will be no P2P. But if you’re going to use Kazaa then at least use this version.

Earthstation 5 www.earthstation5.com == Somewhat difficult to use and not many users yet b/c of it being new. But supposedly this program has the solution to anonymity b/c it is in a country that doesn't support our file sharing laws and will not co-operate with US agencies. article

Nextly, If you simply want music and don't want to deal with file sharing programs there is some good 0-day sites out there. The links only usually work for a few days and the pop-ups are kind of excessive but the product is quality:
    www.mp3-2003.com
    www.simplemp3s.com
    www.21century-mp3.nu
    www.quickmusic.org
    www.musiclines.com

Now, once you have the product on your computer you have officially violated copyright laws. Recently a lady was sued and went to court with the argument that she owned the cd's for the music. This would've worked, but some basic investigation proved that her claims were untrue. They used the id3 tags from the mp3 files to prove that they were from file sharing programs and not ripped from original cd's. I recently found a utility to remove all id3 tag information in bulk.
    ID3Remover program Link
    ID3 Remover Program Download (Direct)

Now that you have clean mp3s on your computer you may, at some point in time, wish to remove them. By simply deleting them or shift-del them they will still be on your hard drive and will be fully accessible with basic forensic utilities. To successfully remove the mp3s or any other file from your computer I'd suggest using this utility. It is called Eraser 5.3. It uses a deletion process created by Gutmann, which overwrites the place on your hard drive 35times. This process is beyond DOD standards and ensures that the files are fully deleted.
    Eraser 5.3 Download (Direct)

Furthermore, I believe that soon most artists will decide to offer their music in digital format online for inexpensive prices. The RIAA will inevitably hurt itself and the artists already do not support the RIAA's tactics article. If the artists utilize this route we will be able to purchase mp3s straight from the artist w/o shoveling money into the RIAA, MPAA, etc... pocket.

I hope some of this info helps you get your anonymity back.

PS...If you truly want to clean your drive w/o having to re-format then there are a couple options. Firstly you can use Eraser 5.3(see above) to secure the slack space on your drive. This will use the Gutmann process to ensure that anything you have there is cleaned. Then you'll have to probably purchase some kind of software like Evidence Eliminator to perform an underwrite. This feature temporarily moves your information and writes randon information to that area, then puts your information back on that area. This feature ensures that any data hidden under your data will not be recoverable by forensic software. I'm still looking for software that performs underwriting free, but until I find one I'm stuck using EE.

Your friend for freedom
    -neta1o-

I would like to mention that Kazaa Lite has a function that disables known IP address from the RIAA and other companies trying to bust filesharing.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

CXGJarrod, Thanks for the addition. I am aware of this feature. It blocks access from all IP's in the BannedIPRanges.txt. I fully support the addition of this feature but I do not trust it. The RIAA has access to the same list that I've linked above and there is nothing that stops them from running their bots from an IP address that is not in the Banned Range. Furthermore, I apologize for not including these details in the post above, but I am at work .

Any other input, additions and criticisms are appreciated as long as they benefit the post.

NOTE: For the people that do not support file sharing, please move your mouse cursor to the 'x' button in the top rightmost portion of your computer and depress firmly.

-neta1o-

Blast From the Past
    i dislike the RIAA P2P networks save me alot of money and i say let it be free and the RIAA may hav real grounds for there legal actions but i still think its a load of $h!t
    well thats my 2 cents
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

I setup an anonamouse Proxy on my network from another country. I wonder if they would go through the work of traceing it all back to see if the oreginal ip behind the proxy is really from another country (from witch they could do nothing)
    Everyone has to start somewhere and we all start at the bottom - FeN-i-X

=FeN-i-X=,

The anonymous proxy approach is a very good way to divert the investigation. If you are using a proxy, your computer relays through the computer that your are proxied to. This makes it seem that the computer in whatever country you use, is connecting to Kazaa and not you. Unfortunately, many of these proxies can be subpoenaed for you IP address. If you can find a good proxy that is definitely in a country that will not give up your information if subpoenaed, than that will be great.

Nextly, I have a little discomfort in allowing all my surfing/downloading habits to go through a proxy because they can monitor them at their discretion. But if that is of little concern to you, enjoy.

-neta1o-

Proxy List

I have mentioned in other threads , that an anonymous proxy outside of US legislation will work, particularly if the host site is in a country which does not recognise US patents.

It is still illegal (as opposed to unlawful) as you are circumventing US laws.

I have visited a few graveyards in this country and the rest of Europe...............neat little white markers there in the sand................I am caught in the middle here.............a lot of those markers are for Americans...............two world wars.....you came for us eventually?.............you have a great tradition for democracy............I respect that!

Good Luck and God Bless you all

In response to what Nihil mentioned in his post, can anyone tell me which countries don't recognise US patents ? I'm presuming this will mean looking for a proxy based in the Phillipines or somewheres ?

Domtheboy,

My first guess would be any country in the former Warsaw Pact/COMECON Iron Curtain area...that would include the 15(?) former Soviet States.

Hong Kong? (North Korea. Iran, Libya...if you don't mind your MP3s glowing in the dark) HK is the best bet (obviously ) as it is also a source of a lot of counterfeit goods, and their authorities don't seem to care?

I would suspect several in South America?

Apart from the politically unacceptable ones ( who probably don't have much of an internet capability anyway), I would have thought of places that don't do much business with the USA...........no one will have bothered to enter into an agreement with them. Iceland maybe?

Also, strong democracies, such as European countries, who have strong patent/copyright laws of their own. We have our own rules in the UK for instance. Any action would have to be brought under our laws (don't ask.................I am waiting for an opinion myself ) Austria might be interesting, as it was non-aligned? Also, any investigative activity would have to comply with their personal privacy and evidence rules?

Just a few guesses

Cheers

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Well, as of 2002 these countries were all involved in pirate CD production or some relation there of -
    Ukraine, the Peoples' Republic of China, Paraguay,Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Israel, Lebanon, the Philippines, Russia, Taiwan,Uruguay Indonesia, and Thailand
    Full Article Here

Also -
    Brazil and Pakistan
    According to the Association, Brazil is one of the largest pirate marketplaces in the world, and has not responded to the piracy situation
    Full Article Here

Dunno. does this help answer your question? I just Googled it up. Hope this helps.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton