connecting my laptop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: connecting my laptop

Banned

connecting my laptop

Ok i have recently brought a laptop, and i was wondering if it was at all possible to link the laptop to my main computer.
    So as when i am using the laptop i could access programs of the other computer,
    And vice versa..
    If this is actually possible, how would i go about doing this?
    And what equipment would be the best for this kind of project......?
    Many thanks in advance.

cyru5_nuk3: Buy a hub or a switch and some cat5 cable and you are done. You can access the reasources on the other computer. Set up user accounts and enable file and print sharing.

Also plenty of results in Google: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...etwork&spell=1
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Even cheaper; buy a crossover cable and connect the two puters. Provided you have NIC's for both puters.

you can buy a data cable that plugs into your paralell ports, if you have the same o/s on both machines, voila! You may need to buy software if you have different o/s tho.
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

Hi Cyru5 and welcome to AO

As has already been suggested, you can do it via what I would call a "null modem cable"...those 9 pin game ports..........hell...it is difficult typing with this arthritis grashopper.......OK I am old, but not THAT old.....come to think of it..........I AM

If you go for any kind of wireless connection..........please make sure that you change the "gateway/router" device password from the default...............all scumbags know the defaults?

But a straight laptop to desktop should not really need much more than the simple null modem cable?

Hope this helps a little, but keep posting with results/questions, if you need more

Nice weekend

johnno

A crossover cable (as Chief1 suggested) is probably the cheapest and easiest way to connect two computers (basically, it's a standard UTP cable with the connectors different at each end, if I remember correctly). You plug one end into your laptop NIC and the other into your PC NIC.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

I have a data cable as nokia sugested all i done was plug them in to the relevent ports and it was a simple drag and drop etc to use all the programs on both computers. both were running win 98 se tho.

have you tried it with mixed o/s P/Booth? ive tried but never managed to get it to work.
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

You could also try the USB transfer cables that plug directly between usb ports. Data transfer is very fast ... especially if you have usb 2.0.

Here is a link to one source.

http://www.cables.com/miva/merchant....gory_Code=USB2

Banned
    Yay,
    Thankyou all for your brilliant ideas....
    I went out and brought this cable that plugs into the back of my computer, and it fits perfectly into the laptop.
    I went back and read a manual, but it pointed me in the wrong direction. But finally with a lot of patience i got it working..
    Thanks to everyone.
    I could not have done it without any of your help..............
    (i did read a few manuals, plus searched yahoo, and you were the last resort.)
    I cannot thank you all enough
    Cheers
    cyru5_nuk3