3 security breaches that could have affected you

Thread: 3 security breaches that could have affected you

3 security breaches that could have affected you

Authorities say an identity theft scheme involving Teledata Communications in New York came from the inside when an employee sold passwords for downloading consumer credit reports. Prosecutors said in November that more than 30,000 people were victimized with losses of more than $2.7 million.

In December, thieves physically broke into an office of TriWest Healthcare Alliance in Phoenix and stole computer hard drives containing Social Security numbers and addresses of about 562,000 military personnel and their families. The company, which posted a $100,000 reward for information, said no identity thefts have been reported.

Last month, a hacker broke into the computers of Data Processors International, a company based in Omaha, Neb. that handles transactions for catalog companies and other direct marketers. The Secret Service said the hacker accessed more than 10 million credit card numbers.

might just be me, but I doubt they broke in and stole thos HD's to steal their identities. Military information on personal could be valuable information to the right person, lets just hope it doesn't fall into the wrong hands. The first rule of war is to know your enemy...
    Ron Paul: Hope for America

United Kingdom: Bridlington
    Very interesting, as it highlights the three major issues of security:

1. The enemy within.
    2. Physical security
    3. Network/systems security

I also find it interesting that the first case has a crude average of $90 per hit. I would not be surprised to find that there is an internal security reporting threshold of $100 Obviously, an insider will find these kind of things, so I always think it wise to have a few "random" selections in your audit reports.