Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RIAA is getting smarter

RIAA is getting smarter

I read somewhere online that the RIAA is currently trying to get approval from the court system to release a program diguised as popular songs that will search your computer for mp3 files and delete them, I am trying to find the link again but am not succeeding, a friend showed me the artical. So when you download music becareful and look at the file sizes and pay closer attention to extensions of files. for some reason I have a feeling that they may have already released something liek this. Just a warrning. Im pretty sure they wont get approval because this is just as bad as a virus, but be careful.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Hmm, simply look at the file extension, and also, any program needs to be executed before it can do anything like delete files. Also, it would be silly for the RIAA to have the power to release a potential trojan/virus/worm to delete MP3 files. Then again, they sued a 12 year old kid and plan to use more, so they can care less.

silly indeed, just letting eople know to take precausion if they dont already, because tis one probably wont be detected by an antivirus if scanned.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Probably not. However, I would not be surprised for somebody to release something to detect it and delete the file. In fact, it would not be too tough to make something to detect and remove the file(s). However, it might not be such a bad idea NOT to share when the skillet is so damn hot.

I don't see how that can be true, mainly because not all mp3 files on a computer are "stolen" songs and of course they'd be in serious trouble when it deletes a legitimate mp3. I would like to see this article however, throw it at me if you find it

Banned
    that the RIAA is currently trying to get approval from the court system
    if the court system approves this ..then the system is really fuc*d up and we have morons as heads of our system ....

Its possible, but not likely. The RIAA can not release such a piece of software officially, because it would surely be inviolation of the anti-hacking laws. Most likely (and this is just speculation) they would hire a 3rd party (most likely without any direct ties) to create and release the file suggested.

Aphorix: youve got a really good point, I'm sure independent bands would be jumping at the bit to sue the RIAA if the program killed off files on there server that were being shared up to help get a fan base established over the internet.

Drunk On Duvel: it is pretty rediculous that they sued a 12 yr old girl, and I'm sure its hurt their image in the public eye. I'm sure alot of people have the 'do not share my files with other users' box checked in kazaa lite and arent about to change it anytime soon.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

quick thought; doesnt 'smarter' indicate they had smarts to begin with?

I agree totally I heard about the kid being sues. It's now up to the parents but the kid is like I didn't know this is illegal, what is illegal? I don't know. LOL. This whole thing is becoming a joke. I am with Charlie Daniels on this one. I watched a special on TechTv If you want to read an overview on it it is here. http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030825/lam095_1.html. It is a sign of a new era when people are stupid and if they are not they make stupid decisions. By people I mean the people in power now.

AO Part Timer
    Has anybody thought of starting a fund to fight these guys? I mean couldn't we sell an item, then pay these said fines. Like the two grand they settled with that 12 year old girl. Kind of like selling to Peter to pay Paul. An ultimate screw you.

How about anti-RIAA shirts?

Just a thought.

/edit fuxed tipoz
    Your heart was talking, not your mind.
    -Tiger Shark