Thread: Jamming device aims at camera phones

Post Jamming device aims at camera phones

C|Net wrote an article about a jamming device for camera phones. The company Iceberg Systems is testing their Safe Haven-system, this system sends a signal to the mobile phone software with the instruction to shut down the camera for a short period. According to director Patrick Snow the reaction of mobile phone manufacturers is positive and they seem interested. You can use this technology also for jamming loud ringtones or short messages.

At some companys like Philips and LG are mobile camera phones not allowed, and you may only enter the building with a normal phone.

read the whole C|Net article --> http://news.com.com/2100-1009_3-5074852.html?tag=fd_top

Yes, i would wholly support such an innovation; particularly in schools and other areas that children are at risk from potential pedeophiles. Also, i can see this being applied in changing rooms, and any other areas that 'compromising' photos can be taken (ergo, inside the military).

Although personally, i think a better technology would be some manner of device that shut down the phone completely -- either that or have the cinemas issue their patrons machine pistols that we may issue summary execution unto the sensless bastards who dont turn off their phones.

I think phone technology is really cool and that sounds interesting, but how about either a) integrating that into a phone, or b) jamming the signal to turn of cameras? That would be fun stuff to work on and develope.

(ergo, inside the military)
    hopefully our military doesnt use camera phones to spy on enemies...lol i can picture 20 Navy SEAL guys walking around with camera phones taking pictures However, in changing rooms and in places where pictures are not allowed (movies, museums, etc...) this sounds like a good idea.
    Support your right to arm bears.

^^This was the first video game which i played on an old win3.1 box

WELL , like everything it has it good side and bad side. what if some one manages to create a divice that would block the mobile phones from takingpictures , but the y use that divice just to anoy people. or and inverse activated when the person not using the phone doesn't know.

***my last posts seem a bit paranoic, sorry for that ***

I believe that its usefullness is outweighted by its intrusiveness. That is some one manipulating your phone without your permission or consent.

Banned
    Although personally, i think a better technology would be some manner of device that shut down the phone completely
    Many resturants in Canada use 2.4GHz jammers for this purpose. These are _very_ simple to make as you are merely raising the noise floor to a level that drowns out the phone. Such technology is specifically banned by the battle bot rules.

I believe that its usefullness is outweighted by its intrusiveness. That is some one manipulating your phone without your permission or consent.
    But it is ok for someone to manipulate the radio waves inside your establishment without your permissions or consent? It goes both ways.

catch

Originally posted here by White_Eskimo
    hopefully our military doesnt use camera phones to spy on enemies...lol
    Not sure about the US, but in Australia ALL cameras have to be surrendered before entering a millitary establishment. I strongly doubt that "those commie bastards" use Kodak disposable cameras to photograph weapons/vehicles, but it eliminates the risk.