Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: am i being hacked?

am i being hacked?

have been chatting to someone from a chat room in the last few weeks..during an im chat he was able to tell me exactly what song i had on my windows media player..a friend of mine reckons he is definately hacking me...I have done a trojan scan and not found anything but this friend reckons I am definately being hacked by somebody....the other night my downloads kept dropping out even on broadband. i have zonealarm on but is there anything else i should be doing? Sorry if this seems like a daft question but am new to all this!!!! Any other tips you can give me about detecting unwanted guest would be greatfully received!! thanks x

sounds like some retard script kidie downloaded some program that would tell him what kind of mp3 people were listenning to...anyways you are doing the right things, go to microsofts website and download the latest security patches, update your anti-virus, run it, check your firewall's log, also check your task manager to see what programs are running and end all of the processes that you dont know or you dont need....hope this helps, i am sure other AO members will have tons of input
    Support your right to arm bears.

^^This was the first video game which i played on an old win3.1 box

I'm pretty sure that there's a security hole in WMP that allows a remote user to view your playlist. Try going to Windows Update and seeing if there any patches available (you should do this on a regular basis anyway if you're in charge of a Windows workstation) - they shouldn't take too long to download if you have broadband.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Make sure that Zone Alarm is up to date.

Get AdAware6.0 from Lavasoft update and run it.

Get SpyBot Search & Destroy, update and run it.

I have written a couple of tutorials on additional security measures...........have a look and try some.

Panda and PC-Cillin (Trend Micro) are amongst some firms that offer online malware scanning, They can be worth a try, as not all AVs find the same thing at any given point in time.

You must be using some sort of P2P software for your chatroom?

Please go to http://www.bitdefender.com and look in the free downloads section. They do protection tools for a variety of chatroom applications.

Good Luck

Ugh...zone alarm.

I can't exactly tell you HOW he is able to see your playlist (pwaring's notion is pretty valid), but I might know why your downloads are dropping.

First of all, sounds like you're on IRC. Not the most noobie-friendly atmosphere, but what the heck.

Zone alarm is susceptible to syn floods, causing the system to become unstable. This may cause your downloads to drop, even if you're on a broadband modem. Check more out here: http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/5975/info/

As nihil recommended in his infinite wisdom, ( ) get a different firewall, like PC-Cillin.

Good Luck

P.S. This may sound dumb, but make sure your "friend" isn't the one "hacking" you.
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I know that you posted the same question about 2 weeks ago. Without actually looking at your box, the chances of getting the right answer is slim. I can rattle off about 100 things that he/she could be doing to get the info you say is leaking.

The only *sure* way to stop the madness is to get out your install disks and reload the OS. If anyone tells you different, then they are wrong. Any senior security person will tell you the exact same thing.

Good luck.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Originally posted here by White_Eskimo
    sounds like some retard script kidie downloaded some program that would tell him what kind of mp3 people were listenning to...anyways you are doing the right things, go to microsofts website and download the latest security patches, update your anti-virus, run it, check your firewall's log, also check your task manager to see what programs are running and end all of the processes that you dont know or you dont need....hope this helps, i am sure other AO members will have tons of input
    Telling him to shut down whatever he has running and isnt sure of is bad too. He may not know what system processes need to be ran and may shut them down with that advice, which would be a bad thing.

If you still believe you have a trojan, try fport from http://www.foundstone.com

Run it, and see if any peculiar programs are binding to peculiar port numbers.
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

I noted thehorse13's comment................this is the final and absolute solution so in the end you may have to go for it.

One last shot from me though Try booting into safe mode and running the AV and anti spyware that I suggest. Gore's response to White_eskimo made me think of that.

The general idea is to make sure that the damn thing isn't loading at boot?...........safe mode will quite often do that, depending on what "it" is?

Just a thought guys?

Cheers

Wow!!! thanks everybody for replying to my question....am off to bed now cos some of us have to be uo early and work!!! ; ( am really gratefull for any help...have done both a recent virus scan and a trojan scan using pestcontrol but found nothing...my computer is working fine tonight but ill keep or your suggestions in mind next time!!!! thanks guys (and girls)