Thread: Winamp

Winamp

On our "family" computer that is running XP, my brother Switched screen names, but did not log out, and you could still hear the music he left running. Is that like a security problem, can that be exploited?

Not a security problem, happens to be sometimes. The program just lags up somethings, or there may have been a problem with shutting it down. Hit ctrl alt del, goto processes, find winamp3.exe, kill the process. This should fix it 99% of the time.
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy

Ok, just as long as it is not a security problem. Other programs could be a hazard though if they do no log off.

I have had the same experience, AC97 (?) onboard sound and a Radeon 7500 graphics card. I have no idea why, but sometimes a program does not shut down properly.

SirSub sounds right to me........after all, if your firewall and AV are up to date and running, you should still be protected?

Might be wise to update your AV then boot into safe mode and run it, just to be sure?

Good luck

are you running windows xp home edition?
    if you are, i think that is a built in feature for xp.....

Windows® XP Home Edition makes it easy to create individual profiles with customized settings for everyone who uses a computer, allowing you to switch profiles without shutting down your applications and completely logging off.
    taken from here

Well yes, but in a business or community setting where there are multiple accounts on a computer, wouldnt it pose a rather large security problem if person a runs a keylogger for example (usually use stealth, remove themselves from the Task Manager) then switches instead of logging off. Person B logs in and now person A has person B password. Maybe I just do not know what I am talking about. Please correct me so I know.

Actually, I think it doesnt shut them off completly, just sort of puts them in a state of rest. Hence, they're not running. So they can load up more quickly when you re-log back on. But knowing windows, you'll have to reboot before then. So this ability is very useless in my opinion.
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy

in xp if u just switch names what ever was running on the other name if music or some sort still can be herd when ur on the other name.
    Cause: I net send LOZER at school

EFFECT: suspension

IF you were to have DEFRAG running and you tried to run it on a nother anme it will mess up your disk. Such as if you have Default Windows Defrag open adn you run norton Defrag at the same time it will destroy your Hard Drive. Atleast it did so on mine.

Regal Making Handler
    Nothing unusual about this if you switch users on xp without logging off all the process of the first user will still be running. I don't think its a security problem, You could run in to problems though with system resorses running low if you leave to many programs running though.

I think you could also do some damage to some programs if you where to close down the pc with another account logged on and programs running. You get a worning though if you do try to turn off the pc with other people logged on.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry