hellllp
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hellllp

hellllp

I recently bought norton internet security before relizing that it doesn't work well with windows 98. After installing it, I ran into several errors and to make a long story short, i ended up unistalling after hours of headaches. I connect to the internet through aol's broadband cable service. Before installing norton, i could open aol, connect, then use IE to surf the web while aol was open in the background. Now, I not only can't use IE, I can't connect to IRC (no route to host) or aim or any other program that isn't run directly through aol itself. Within aol, I can surf the web just fine, no problems at all. I am not running any other programs on my computer at startup (firewalls, av, or anything), and this problem only started after removing norton internet security. Is there a way to troubleshoot this? Is this a common problem with norton? Any one else ran into this problem? Suggestions?
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

when you accessed the net with irc and so on do you get a popup windows saying XXX is attemting to connect to the internet

Permit
    Deny
    ??
    =

no, no popups. i uninstalled norton, removed all the associated directories, and the only processes running are systray and explorer.

Try reinstalling it, but going through the post setup part carefully. Make sure you tell norton you want all AOL products to have access. I'm not sure where exactly that happnes, but I believe it is after the setup part.

Norton is compatible with 98 because I ran it on a 98 machine.
    =

Do you connect through a proxy? If so you`ll have to setup the connection settings for each program.
    [gloworange]And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict\'s veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. \"This is it... this is where I belong...\" I know everyone here... even if I\'ve never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...[/gloworange]

I misread your post.

Does your AOL software connect for you or is that gone bonkers to?

From what I understand of it, is that you can't open anything up internet related.
    =

no, aol is the ONLY thing that can open, i'm using it now. Normally i would open aol, connect (which still is fine), then I could open up IE, or MIRC, or whatever. Now i can ONLY use aol, nothing else. It's like aol is blocking my other programs from using it's connection to the internet, its really wierd.

Try to not use AOl for your connection. To see if this works.

Click start-->conrtol panel-->Network Connections then on the top right select create a new connection.

Select connect to the internet then set up my connection manually. I'm assumming since its cable that you don't have to use a username and password. So nex select (connect using a broadband connection that is alwasy on.

Try to connect through that instead of AOL.

Then if you connect see if you can surf the web using IE.

btw: thats if you have XP so if you dont' have windows XP you'll have to tell me so I tell you a different way.
    =

unfortunatly with aol's cable, you need to connect through aol to get any kind of connection, it sucks. I know at my friends house, he is just always online, but through the aol cable, you need to sign on with aol before being online....

Call AOL up and tell them your quitting. Sign up for a local Cable connection lol

I don't use AOL so I can't really help you much. Call AOL up and see if they'll give you support on this problem.

As a last resort, you might try deleting IE and reinstalling it.
    =