Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hellllp

yea, i am calling them in the morning. But what gets me is that nothing works at all. Irc was working fine before i installed norton, now it says no route to host. About the only thing I can do besides use aol is ping stuff, and i'm supprised that even works. Norton must have changed something somewhere, but the question is what, and where, and how?
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Just for the thrill of it, open up a command prompt and type "ping www.yahoo.com" or the website of your choice.
    =

the pings are replying and resolving fine, however:
    I use aol 8.0, but could also use 7.0 as well (sign'd on accidentally a few hours ago with it). Now it will not connect with 7.0, it says the aol service is not availble, and to check my cables. Both aol's are setup the same though... odd... I think something (norton) changed in my network settings for some reason. I about to just uninstall all my cable/aol stuff and reinstall it unless some one knows of anything that could change and cause this kind of stuff to happen...

Are you running windows XP?
    =

Did you check the Symantec troubleshooters?

Cannot Access the Internet after installing NIS or NPF
    Adresses some internet connectivity issues after Norton Internet Shield or Norton Personal Firewall has been installed. ^

Unable to sign on to AOL over a DSL or Cable Connection with NIS or NPF enabled
    This might be particularly useful to you. ^

Cannot sign on to AOL after Installing Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall
    Some useful instructions on removing NIS and/or NPF can be found here ^

Now, I realize they might not exactly fit to your circumstances, but you may find their tips useful.

Good Luck.
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

thank you for the links, however, now that norton is uninstalled, I can not go through any of those steps. As i said before, I get massive errors when i install norton, and when i boot my computer with norton installed. I uninstalled it for this reason, and even uninstalling was not an easy task, i had to download one of their uninstallers off of their site. I do not wish to install it again because it will take a long time to get through all the install errors, and boot errors after it is complete. I dont understand why these 'rules' exist after removing norton. Nothing is running to stop anything. Nothing is monitering anything. I'm not sure i'm being clear enough on what my situation is, but suffice to say, i can not reinstall norton, and do not have it on my system at this time anymore. Any troubleshooting must be done without using any norton configurations, because norton is not installed anymore.

edit: i'm using windows 98, fully patched /edit

My advice to you would be to unistall your AOL software then reinstall.

If that doens't work, call them up and have them figure it out.

Good Luck
    =

I had a McAfee firewall installed and it locked me out from all internet connections, even after I had uninstalled it. I had to reformat and reinstall my OS. Now I use ZoneAlarm and AVG and am not having any problems. That was on an XP home box(laptop).
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

You could try just re-installing 98, dont format just do a re-install. Maybe norton messed some setting up with it...or if you go into your System Information them into the tools menu there are a few options there..I cant remember exactly what they are as it been a while since I used 98 but there is an Explorer repair tool and a [i think its called] file verification tool, the file virification tool will check all windows system files and see if any have been modified or changed from the default, it will give you the option of repairng them (you will need the WIN98 CD) or leaving them as they are.

It may or may not help but I found that its sometimes easier and quicker to do this rather than formating/re-installing.

It might not be related, but I have come across a number of wierd probles with IE6.0 running under WIN98/Me.............not consistent, just stuff doesn't work like there are clashes with other software. Unfortunately I have not encountered the (98/Norton/AOL combination.

Just a thought..............could you go back to IE5.5?

Cheers