TLC has a hacking section on their site?

Thread: TLC has a hacking section on their site?

Banned

Arrow TLC has a hacking section on their site?

I was browsing some ebooks I downloaded and came across this link:

http://tlc.discovery.com/convergence...s/hackers.html

It seems that TLC (The Learning Channel) has an information section about the hacking culture.

It has sections like:
    -Hacking Hall Of Fame
    -Hacker vs. Cracker (explination)
    -Hacker Lingo
    -History
    -etc....

Check it out.... kinda fun to read up on. (and Mitnick's FBI Mug Shot Look Awful!)

I appreciate the fact that they define "hacker" properly:

hacker n. 1. A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities.

Have any of you noticed that the term is used so blantantly these days? There are many sterotypes surrounding "hacker," it kinda makes me angry... not that I claim to be one...

Good post, "foo"

foo interj. 1. Term of disgust. 2. Used very generally as a sample name for absolutely anything, esp. programs and files. Etymology is obscure.

It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

Banned
    I noticed you left our the other 4 or 5 definitions for the n. hacker. I prefer the latter too.

With the first definition, you still wouldn't call yourself a hacker?

With todays media coverage, anything that is boring is glamorised to interesting! A simple school boy trying to change his grade on a teacher's computer is a hacker.... (without mention of an unlocked office, logged in computer and open student grade list exel file.)

It's been said, and it'll continue to be said. But I must admit that I like how the Hacker Psych 101 categorizes "hackers" into 4 groups:
    -the 1960 version: users building and learning
    -the script kiddies & cyber punks: download scripts and vandalise
    -the "Pro" hackers for sale: infiltrate for information theft
    -the Virii writers: 'cause they're bored....

So I guess with this generalizing, AO users are from the 1960's? '

Yes , I remember getting linked to that site in affection to the TLC show that was broadcasted last year. But anyway , I love that part of the site especially when i go into the hall of fame heh , wasn't expecting Ken Thompson to look like that lol
    Well Tyger , everybody has different perceptions on what a hacker may do or may know. But i've forgotten about all that name garbage... I mean we are who we are and we do what we do...As someone here at AO said to me "Names are for the apathetic".
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Originally posted here by tyger_claw
    So I guess with this generalizing, AO users are from the 1960's? '
    Only in a perfect world.
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I agree with tiyger_claw about the 4 types of hackers. The entire hacker vs cracker thing is stupid. A word means what people think it means. If someone says your a "cracker" does that mean that you break into computers, or is a derogatory term for the fact that you are white? So the entire hacker vs cracker thing is stupid.

And tyger_claw.... most of the ao community falls under the script kiddie, wannabe script kiddie definition.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Yea this has been there for a while. I watched it on TV and it was awesome. They had alot of oldschool hackers on there talking about stuff they did.

looks like we may need to go to phyco or us:

"It's a population that takes refuge in computers because of their problems sustaining real world relationships," says Post. "Causing millions of dollars of damage is a real power trip."

not us!
    We're here to catch them, right?
    cybnut

For some reason, it pisses me off when they say "a hacker is usual a white male"...

/me isn't a white male.

Rather, a brown one :-P - but same difference on the net, right? *sigh*... its times like these where I love the America even more. i'm not a suspect to hacker activity because of my color, ontop of that, i get a higher chance into getting into an Ivy League University.

Can't touch this, na, na na na, na na, na na...
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Ninja Code Monkey
    <-- Wannabe

Originally posted here by souleman
    I agree with tiyger_claw about the 4 types of hackers. The entire hacker vs cracker thing is stupid. A word means what people think it means. If someone says your a "cracker" does that mean that you break into computers, or is a derogatory term for the fact that you are white? So the entire hacker vs cracker thing is stupid.

And tyger_claw.... most of the ao community falls under the script kiddie, wannabe script kiddie definition.
    I agree...the hacker vs cracker thing is stupid. Although language is ever changing and the meaning of the words are what we make it....the majority of people don't care about hackers vs crackers. Hacker covers it all and crackers go in soup (or are a derogatory term for white people).
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X