Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NT setup problem

During installation of NT4.0 server, you will have an option to install NT server as
    1) standalone server 2) PDC (primary domain controller) or 3) BDC (backup domain controller)

You probably already did it, but just in case, did you choose PDC..and also are both the xp and NT server PCs on same subnet...

Because if they are not, and are separated by a router you have to either configure WINS server, force the router to forward UDP broadcasts (NBT) or configure lmhosts or hosts file (not sure on XP),

Basically by default the way the XP PC will look to find the domain controller is by sending out UPD/netbios broadcasts...

Just curious, may be a stupit question, can the two devices ping each other...

cheers,

Yeah when I installed NT, I chose it to be a Primary Domain Controller.

Both computers are on the same subnet and both can ping each other.

I'm downloading a trial version of Microsoft Server 2003 right now

I'm think I'm gonna try that out also.
    =

Regal Making Handler
    Just a thought, could you format your drive using the xp disk then install NT. Would that work?
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

I wouldn't see why that wouldn't work.

Just format it myself, then install NT on that.
    =

What is the 'workgroup' name of the XP computer ? It needs to be the same 'domain' name as the Server. (have you already done this ?)

Here's a thought. (I have not attached XP to NT4) but when using Win 2K Professional to an NT 4 server.......they do not play well together. The Win2K Pro had to be a 'trusted domain' of the NT4 server.

Make sure you have your server as a WINS server and make sure your XP has it listed as one. This will resolve NetBios names for you. Use Network ID in Control Panel>System to join the domain from the XP box, it will ask you for an account that is authorized to join the domain,make sure the account used is a domain admin. Lemme know if that helps. Are you running a DNS server?

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier