Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 98 & NTFS Question

Windows 98 & NTFS Question

I need to access a NTFS hard drive from within Windows 98. I know that I can get a floppy that is bootable and lets me access the NTFS hard drive but I want to access it within Winodws 98. I found a program which is neat but it uses the NTOSKERNEL.EXE from a existing Windows 2000 or Windows XP installation. I can't use that because I have neither installed and I am not planning on installing them due to some technical problems. I was wondering if anyone here at AO has a program or solution to my problem. The drive needs to appear as a logical drive within Windows 98. I only need read access, write access is secondary. Before you ask, I am not planning on pulling the drive from another PC just to read the data. It is the secondary HD in my computer that has all my backups from an XP crash. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

I searched google for "read ntfs within Windows 98" and the first link in the list was a freeware app that does exactly what you need. Its actually called NTFS for Windows 98. Just curious, did you try using google? Here is the link to the software .
    -NeuTron

Indeed

NeuTron:

That's the program I mentioned in my post about having to have Windows 2000 or Windows XP installed. I cannot use it. Thanks for your help though.

Edit:

To other users. I know about the Sysinternals software but I cannot use it. Thanks.

Check this link out eversor,
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr...tfswin98.shtml

Ithink it might have what you want "NTFS for win98"

LOL

LOL I can't win.

sorry,lol..just read nuetrons post....

I see what you mean....you actually need an install CD for 2k/XP not the OS installed, but you're right it's not an optimal solution.

Did you try this product?

http://www.purenetworking.net/Produc.../NTFSfor98.htm

ooops I think the requirement here is same as other product...sorry..
    I better quit while at it..its getting late..

cheers

Hi, you seem to have a "catch 22" situation?

I have done a bit of disk/data recovery in my time, but not this particular scenario; FAT32 to NTFS. The other way is much easier, because NTFS is the "secure" file system and FAT32 is not.

I am wondering if an HDD data recovery tool might be the answer. You would need something that is written in a language that does not particularly care about the file system, and just rips the files as it sees them. These tool tend to take a long time to run, and you need enough space on your primary drive to hold the extracted data.

There is a tool called "unstoppable copier" by a guy who calls himself "roadkil" (one "l"). Might I suggest that you do a Google search for this, and see if it will help you. Sorry I could not find the machine I have that one on

Otherwise search for "file recovery" and "disk recovery" and see what tools you can find. My thinking is that you may find a tool that does the job you want, but for different reasons, so your previous searches won't have found it.

My thinking is that if you create a partition/logical drive in Win98 and copy the data from the other drive, you will have forced it into a FAT32 format, so you can at least "see" it. It may well be a load of gibberish............that will depend on the tool.

Another thought might be to borrow/buy an old drive. Replace the C drive, Load Win 2000 or XP, and do it that way?

Jus a few quick thoughts...........keep us posted

Cheers

unstoppable copier available here : http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~roadkil/unstopcp.zip
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;