Thread: red hat linux 9 update problem

red hat linux 9 update problem

Hey all, Linux newbie here and frankly a dumb question. I just installed red hat 9 and im told it needs updates, when i go to update though my machine cannot connect with the update server saying i have an ssl error. Is there another way to update linux os without using there updater service????

thanx
    -soia
    Alright take it ease

yeah.. you could download there patch from the internet.. just find it.. youll find it!

RedHat updated their update manager which you need to update... You can find the info to update here https://rhn.redhat.com/
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times

SOIA:

You have to create an account on the red hat network. (which will issue you the ssl key)

You will need to be in GUI for the easiest way to register... CLI will work, but more of a pain.

Just open a xterm

type

rhn_register &

It will walk you through setting up an account on the RH network and get your up2date service running. Unless you purchase the entitlement, you'll only get a "demo". That is fine, you will just have problems from time to time connecting due to server overload. If you want priority updates, you will have to pay.

Or go to http://www.suse.com and not only not have to sign up for an account, you wont get spammed to hell by redhat asking for your "help" to better suit paying customers. Also, no account. It costs 80 bucks for Professional and 40 for Personal. Its also the best Linux in the world.

The firewall is also awesome. And unlike with redhat, you can actually have a grphical screen saver without it getting choppy. The drivers for most hardware are also there. It finds things that even Windows 2000 needed drivers for.

I'd reccomend it by far. You'll love it, just like my aquatic friend phishy would if hed get it

I'd reccomend it by far. You'll love it, just like my aquatic friend phishy would if hed get it
    Absolutely! I'll try it out. Make me a set of CDs so I don't have to drop $80 and I'm all over it.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Ok, here is the answer to your issue:

GO to this site: https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2003-267.html
    Download the RPM for your version of RH and install it with the switches recommended on the site. I think it is RPM -Fvh rpmname.rpm. However, if it fails, just do this: RPM -ivh --force rpmname.rpm. This will work for sure
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden