Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NT setup problem

NT setup problem

Ok, I'm trying to install NT server 4 on a computer with a 20GB HD. I want to use the entire space of the HD but every time I select that partition, then tell windows setup to format it, it says its to large and needs to be below 8099. So I go back and make it 7000 and try it again, but it still says that partition is to big. Am I missing something here or could my HD be screwed up??

BTW: Its a Western Digital Caviar HD.
    =

Hi Cheyenne,

I am no expert on the Server version of NT 4.0, but I do know that the client version restricts you to a C-Drive partition of 2Gb or so, you need to create other partitions for data/apps and to use up the rest of the space.

I guess the server is set to limit the "C" just like the client?

Cheers

Johnno

EDIT the 8gb complaint might be the bios? I think there is a breakpoint around that level?...so you could have BIOS and NT 4 complaining about different things?

yeah, it's restricted to a specific size, we use 4000 at work. It's a real pain in the a** later when the main partition fills itself up with crap so quickly! I wish there was a work around for this, but it's probably in place for a reason...
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

I believe that the thinking was "security and stability"................I think that I deserve a Purlitzer prize for getting those two words into a discussion on M$

You just had the OS and key apps on the C drive, which you would secure, and leave the rest up for grabs?

Just a vague recollection?

Cheeers

The only reason I'm even bothering to install NT on a machine is because I'm wanting to learn how to set up domains, and NT is the only thing I could get from a friend, and 2000 server is so damn expensive.
    =

Cheyenne, NT is restricted to a 4GB partition on the system drive because MS is stupid and the install program formats the system in FAT then coverts it to NTFS, since FAT16 cant adress any bigger, thats what happens. Here's what I have done, use a partition editor which can use NTFS and create the system partition before install (I reccomend BooItNG which is free) DO NOT FORMAT from setup, or you can use the setup program twice and install the second time on the secondary(aka big partition) then ditch the first install from partiton editor.

-Maestr0

If your system won't acknowledge the larger partition, I seem to remember something about having to replace a .dll from a SP4 or higher for really large system partions(bigger than 6 or 8 maybe??Been a while)

\"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Hi,

That's a fact. I paid £585 (GBP) for the last 2000 server I bought (5 clients) . On the positive side, NT4 is quite good enough to learn on, as 2000 Pro is only a progression from it. XP Pro is rather different. Not tried 2003...............I have too great a liking for beer, and difficult economic choices have to be made....so I did

If you look in some of the obscure text files within 2000Pro you will see it referred to as NT5! so you will see what I mean.

Good Luck With Your Project

Cheers

Maestr0....yes there is an 'edit' you can do (from SP 3 ?) Create the original Boot Diskettes, then add updated dll/sys files to Diskette 3.

Cheyenne1212......As everyone has suggested...create the 'default' size boot partition of (max) 4996. From there...get to Service Pack 4. Then use Partition Magic to stretch it to 20 gigs.

Here's a link from Microsoft explaining limitation, although they say maximum limit is 7.8G
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;en-us;224526

And here's a link that shows you how you can overcome limitation using mkbt.exe
    http://www.nu2.nu/fixnt4/

Ive never used mkbt.exe myself, you might want to give it a try..

good luck
    cheers..

Thanks for the help guys.

One more question. I'm on the XP pro computer right now, and NT server should be set up for a domain controller. I gave myself a account on the Server and when I go to let this computer join the domain, it says that it can't find it. Is there any way that I can make sure that NT is correctly set up to act as a domain controller.
    =