Someone's Exit Policy is missing...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone's Exit Policy is missing...

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking Someone's Exit Policy is missing...

Gotta love stuff like this

"My first response was shock," said Ellis, who contacted the Star soon after discovering the information. "There's no way a server should get out of a bank's hands with a full operating system and whatever data that's in the hard drive."

Ellis said he approached the Star first because he wasn't sure how the bank would react and wanted a third party present. He contacted the bank late Friday afternoon, and a computer security team was dispatched to his house on Saturday to seize the hard drives.
    He was at least smart to protect himself but the bank ultimately made the mistake IMHO letting these things out like that.

The other thing I want to know is how can I get Netfinity servers like that for $400CDN??? I never seem them on eBay at that price!!
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

The other thing I want to know is how can I get Netfinity servers like that for $400CDN??? I never seem them on eBay at that price!!
    He purchases PCs from a company that recycles them, fixes them and sells them on ebay for a higher price. The company he purchased them from this time was...

http://www.recycle.net/trade/ecosys.html

Time to look into some inexpensive hardware!

N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I thought these recycling places had to destroy hard drives?!

When I recycle equipment, I pull out the HDs and then recycle just the parts I know I won't be able to use. I keep network cards, some shells, memory and thats about it.

Then we have phun with the harddrives and a sledge hammer!

FYI- Don't put a hard drive in the microwave... it'll explode!
    (don't laugh... Jack Daniels told us to do it!)

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    I thought these recycling places had to destroy hard drives?!

When I recycle equipment, I pull out the HDs and then recycle just the parts I know I won't be able to use. I keep network cards, some shells, memory and thats about it.

Then we have phun with the harddrives and a sledge hammer!

FYI- Don't put a hard drive in the microwave... it'll explode!
    (don't laugh... Jack Daniels told us to do it!)
    How long does it take? (I have some old 512MB and 1 GB hard drives to get rid of)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

How long does it take? (I have some old 512MB and 1 GB hard drives to get rid of)
    Well, I've used a 5lb sledge and that only takes a couple of good whacks. I like to see the insides before I stop...

As for the microwave... only a couple of seconds before you see the sparks. The hard drive itself won't explode... its the microwave that will... (they're coming to take me away! ha.ha. ho.ho. he.he!) (Disclaimer: Don't try this at home... try it at your friends house!)

I think the best solution is to use do a low level format then take an industrial strength magnet to it. Drill a couple or holes in it afterwards to ensure that the next person using it recieves the proper air flow and cooling.

Seriously though.... There are proper ways to getting rid of the hard drives...
    http://www.infosecnews.com/opinion/2003/05/21_01.htm

I still like to take them apart. They have GREAT magnets inside. A friend collects the aluminum cases, and only the actual disks get tension tested ( with the hammer ).

( that guy Jack sure gets around )
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

LOL. that is some crazy stuff to hear about. The banks need to be a bit more careful i guess. I like to play around with the old hard drives though. You know mod em. Put a window in. Just for kicks.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

I usally dispose of my old harddrives / misc hardware with a 30-06 or 7mm mauser.
    d0m1n10n: 1.Control or the exercise of control; sovereignty: “The devil... has their souls in his possession, and under his dominion” (Jonathan Edwards).
    2. A territory or sphere of influence or control; a realm.
    often Dominion Abbr. Dom.

actually it's not just banks who are careless with computer equipment... I recently came into posession (legally) of a laptop from a well known oil company (given as a gift from a friends father)... - shan't give the name of the company but everyone in the UK and most folks in the states will know them. The amount of company data still left on the thing was frankly ridiculous.. including but not limited too, proposals for drilling sites, section finances etc.... a lot of the info dated from 2001-2002 so commercial worth might be limited but even so...

needless to say the HD has been wiped several times and a different OS has been installed...

I can understand the sense of shock

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes