Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Someone's Exit Policy is missing...

I bet somebody got their ass chewed out because they didn't check the drives to make sure they were wiped. it is also a good thing that guy was honest or all hell would of broke lose and alot of people would of been pissed off at the bank If they are not already pissed at them and I bet alot of them closed out their accounts.

It really does happen everywhere. I picked up an old P166 for my sister from a computer liquidators, they had piles of them just sitting. Cost me like 88 CDN + Monitor. I brought it home, expecting to have to install an OS and apps and stuff, but nope. Had Office on it, and a few other nifty programs. Also had the guys person folder that had all the old commercials that used to circulate that were humerous. Had all his personal info, including CC#s. Then i started browsing, there were designs for vehicles. Complete blue prints and schematics of the frame and body. Documentation on various electronic components, all sorts of wild crap. It's kinda scary that this information could be in anyone's hands.

Not too long ago, one of my buddies purchased a pallet of hard drives. I'm not talking a small quantity either... there were over 1000+ drives there. He was going through them looking for good drives to sell on ebay. He purchased them from a data recovery company somewhere in CA. (if you want to know which company, PM me... I'll find out)

After going through about 10 of them and them all being broken (click click zooom!) and making all sorts of weird noises... he came across a few that worked. He found hard drives that belonged to lawyers, banks, home users, etc. He found tons of data on them. He runs an wireless ISP and couldn't find time to go through them all. Since he wasn't finding too many that were worth selling, he started selling them in packages... "as-is".

I purchased 20 or so drives from him at a price of $100. Only 5 of them worked. Between the ranges of 60gigs and 20gigs. I found all kinds of crazy stuff on them. From pr0n to music to financial data. Of course I just killed all the data (being the honest person that I am...)

He was selling the rest of them and ended up selling the rest of the pallet too.

I can only imagine what else was on those hard drives. Hopefully no important data went to other people. Seeing that he got them from a data recover company... I'd be willing to bet that there was plenty of "juicy stuff" on them.

Ah well... what are you going to do?

Take out the drill, sledge hammer and microwave!