Thread: "Dude, Where's my port?"

"Dude, Where's my port?"

Hello,

I will be brief.

I have a very long list of PORTS.

I would like to close ALL unassigned PORTS.

Now,...from what I understand;
    I will need to CREATE a RULE for every unassigned port number which will deny TCP/UDP from ANY SOURCE.

Is the above statement true?

If the above statement is true, thats a friggin' buttload of rules.

Humbly,
    retfarcratS

First of all , what OS are you running ? And other than that are there any ports that you are trying to run ?
    You have to ellaborate on the system you are using and the way it's setup for us to help you....
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Win2K

IIS with FTP
    Exchange with OWA

Real firewall

No IDS before firewall (dont know why, i think i dont care..anyway)

Humbly,
    retfarcratS

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Most decent firewalls operate on the, "denied unless explicitly allowed" methodology. If your firewall does, then all you need to do is add your "allow" rules and you are good to go. A version of the firewall you are running would easily tell us if this is the case or not.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Erm, can't IPSec do:
    Allow Port 1
    Allow Port 2
    Deny All
    ?
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

horse,

Sonicwall PRO 200

I just keep seeing a bunch of activity on my bandwidth usage log from unassigned ports. Is my original statement above TRUE or FALSE then?

Most firewalls will have an explicit deny at the end of every rule. It is a default setting for firewalls.
    I'm not sure for SonicWall, but for Cisco, there'll be a "deny any any" at the end of the rules line and it is not shown on the config page.

Firewalls seem to be quite random in just how that works... o.o

My firewalls I've tried have a different effect every time I re-install 'em, blocking different ports, blocking ports I've allowed and allowing ports I've blocked... I never trust 'em

retfarcratS,

If your wanting to set a default rule in the sonicwall to block all ports except ones you specify , do the following...

from the admin screen of your firewall, go to Access then rules,
    Click add new rule.

Select Action = Deny
    Select Service = Default
    Source = *
    Destination = LAN

Hit update & your done, then just add rules for the ports / services you wish to allow.

HTH