Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Hat problems

Red Hat problems

I just installed redhat linux 7.3 and ran across a couple of problems... The first one i need fixed is that whenever i used the cdrecord speed=1 dev=0,0,0 -v shrike-i386-disc1.iso
    command to install redhat 9(because its newer) it loads at boot-up but whenever i do a linux mediacheck it tells me to insert the cd1 for the installation...please help
    You laugh because im different, i laugh because your all the same.

So insert CD 1 :-)

Did you verify the md5 when you downloaded the ISO? You know the beta for severn is out now too if you'd like to test that (RH 10)

Seabass

I just bought redhat 9...hope i dont run into any problems...First time Linux user

You'll be fine. Just take your time. The install is pretty straight forward. I've installed it a few times. Installed it on this machine two months ago....rebooted after install and it's been up and running ever since. I'm actually installing new beta right now as I type this.

Seabass

Glad you people got it, I didn't understand the question.

Is he writing the ISO of RH 9 to disk, or is he trying to install RH 9 ??
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

all i think i need is a command that may run a boot disk creation for each iso... or a command that will allow me to burn the cd a different way... i think the problem is in the cd creation... anyway to futher explain my problem would be impossible without any more knowledge about linux... all i know is when i do a linux mediacheck when the cd boots it will tell me to insert the first cd... the first cd is already in the tray... it either wont unmount or it thinks im doing a different type of installation other than cd.

Dude..skip that media check. I burn all my own ISO's with xcdroast. Check the md5 (md5sum filename) against the md5 when you downloaded it. And burn it. Then when you boot up skip that media checking thing. I've never used it and have never had any problems. If you have a problem....oops.

I would skip the mediacheck... but now im afraid that if i try to install it, it wont unmount the cd drive and then i would be stuck without an os... and can you give me a command for x-roast to burn iso's?

well....xcdroat is gui based. Start it up...set it up...create cd, pick tracks and write tracks. OR...

[seabass55@TFHS seabass55]$ su
    Password:
    [root@TFHS seabass55]# cdrecord -scanbus
    scsibus0:
    0,0,0 0) 'HL-DT-ST' 'CD-RW GCE-8400B ' '1.02' Removable CD-ROM
    0,1,0 1) *
    0,2,0 2) *
    0,3,0 3) *
    0,4,0 4) *
    0,5,0 5) *
    0,6,0 6) *
    0,7,0 7) *
    [root@TFHS seabass55]# cdrecord -v speed=24 dev=0,X,0 filename.iso

X in my case would be 0 (look above)....filename is the filename

I burn my ISO's with either method shown above...

um... ya ive already tried that but i found the problem... it was very stupid of me not to check tne md5sum values... i think that is the problem(i dont know yet because i still havent re-downloaded cd 1 yet) because the cd1 values didnt match up... sorry