Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RTFM-- Read The F........N Manual

RTFM-- Read The F........N Manual

I'm sure this has been covered before.. This is "und3rtak3r's" slant on the subject..

What it means to RTFM

R.T.F.M = Read The Flaming Manual (or if it is for the third time you have been told.Read The Farck'n Manual)

Read the manual implies that you are to read the relevant information before asking any questions. So if you are having problems with your computer have you read the manuals for your computer? If it is a Software problem have you read the manual for the application? In my view reading the manual also implies that you have done reasonable research on the subject, how? It may sound obvious but a great place to start is with a search or two. Start with Google, if the hits are to confusing or out in left field then search any site you know that may have something to do with the subject. RTFM is about you using some of your own "Common sense" before sticking your foot in.

Why RTFM before posting.

When you come to AO, and for that matter most forum/chat sites, you will find that there are community expectations, and or rules of engagement. So You will find on most sites a "Before You first Post" sticky type post in the forum headers. It is a fairly good bet that the site owners or lead moderators have listed some very relevant information here that will help you to see how you can best fit in. You wouldn't go to a Needle Work Forum and expect to become accepted discussing the finer points of Feral Cat Hunting.. Would you?

Why do we Expect you to RTFM.-- Simple so you will learn something.

As this is a security related site, and the people who have the information are usually in the industry (i.e. they have jobs where this is everyday stuff), and getting to the bones of the problem is important in solving your problem as well as helping both learn from the experience. Or to put it in English, if you spend all day fixing up Id10t errors for fuktards, the last thing you want to waste your time doing the same in your spare time. You do want to learn, don't you?? You will want to fix this problem quickly next time you encounter it won't you?

What we expect you to do so we don't have to say RTFM

It is expected that you have read the following: Or at least it is recommended for you to have read the following regarding this site and posting here:

Posts in the Newbie Security Questions forum:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread... FAQ: by Ennis
    The Tutorials: Start with the Sticky threads.
    Antionline netiquette: by valhallen
    The Note to Newbie’s: by allenb1963

To start learning:
    Go back to the Tutorials and troll the threads. You could start with this one:

Ennis: Basics of lots of things

A common theme you will find in the Tutorials is search Google (there is a mirror near you). But Google is not the only search engine on this planet, but what ever your search engine favourite is USE IT. Then you may just post a help reply to have someone tell you that the information you posted could also be posted as a Tutorial.

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    w00t!! Good advice. Although I've always been partial to the "M$" version of it.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO Part Timer
    Always thought we needed a tutorial named Us helping you help yourself. But RTFM works also. Good work Und3ertak3r, good work indeed. perhaps you should of told them what the f actually stands for? Maybe not
    Your heart was talking, not your mind.
    -Tiger Shark

Yeah i gotta agree with that....
    I do try to find the information first.
    Well if i carn't find it witch is the usual problem i will post my question
    But i will usually hassle my more computer literate friends prior to posting my question though..
    Cheers.

the F stands for Fluffy don't it?

Well officially in my workplace.. I refer to the F as Flamin hence F....n, what else could it be..

Oh and Reset_Button, the members like yourself who bother to read these tutorials probably don't need to read this one..

I think this tutorial could be used in reply's to posts such as:
    "How do I Hack Hotmail"
    "Show me how to get my teachers Login and Password"
    "Where are the "ctl-alt-del" keys on my computer"
    " hey I lost the Any key"
    "what does a PCI slot look like"

And will appear as RTFM and perhaps with Ms Mittens Link ..lol.. loved it..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

cheers undertaker.

RTFM - Read The FAQ and Manual ...
    Read the fluffy manual

PS fluffy : 2 : lacking in meaning or substance (www.m-w.com)
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

PS fluffy : 2 : lacking in meaning or substance (www.m-w.com)

Oooops... thanks for that Null

Cheers

Banned
    Nice tutorial undertaker.

Well said!

But I suppose we ought to tell the truth?

"RTFM" stands for "Read The Fine Manual"

sorry

Another point I would comment on is that if you decide to post.........please provide sufficient information. I mean your hardware specs and software version for example. That will frequently remind someone of a similar experience, and get you your help a lot faster