Bypassing Routers!?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bypassing Routers!?

Arrow Bypassing Routers!?

Most people seem to be fairly confident in routers with NAT, but just how hard is it to get into a home users machine if it is guarded by one?

I have a Linksys 4 port router (latest firmware updates) as well as a software firewall, but I can't help but be paranoid about someone penetrating my router. Is this possible without a Trojan on the machine, and if so, how difficult would it be for an attacker of any skill set to accomplish this?

Depends on which services/ports you have open... if any.

If you don't have any open, then just make sure to enable logging and keep an eye on the logs.
    Its good that you have the software firewall too. I use a similar setup and it works well.

Just make sure you don't have trojans and make sure to configure the firewalls correctly.

Deny everything and then allow as you need. Just make sure you know what you are allowing.

Fun stuff!

Yes, I have the logging turned on and I monitor the logs quite often. No Trojans, and just like you stated, I deny everything at my firewall and just allow what I need. Mozilla, mail, etc..

My question is though, what is the difficulty level of getting past a router such as the one we're talking about here? Have you ever read anywhere or heard anything about that on another message board? So far I haven't heard much at all about successes against these types of routers; am I safe to assume you need to be uber or something to do this and should just probably relax about it?

I have no ports open at all. Of course until I open up my browser or check my mail or something like that. When I do a netstat -an it looks like this:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...acking+routers

(kept me entertained for veritable minutes)

I have no ports open at all. Of course until I open up my browser or check my mail or something like that. When I do a netstat -an it looks like this:
    Just wanted to point out that when you do a netstat -an it shows your local machine. It doesn't show what ports are open on your router. You may want to have a friend scan your gateway to see if there is anything open there... or check your config.

Just wanted to point out that when you do a netstat -an it shows your local machine. It doesn't show what ports are open on your router. You may want to have a friend scan your gateway to see if there is anything open there... or check your config.
    Yes, I also have a Linux box that I scan myself with as well as the router; no ports open at the router.

i dont know if that linksys has remote administration but if it does disable it or make sure its a very strong password
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Originally posted here by Tedob1
    i dont know if that linksys has remote administration but if it does disable it or make sure its a very strong password
    They do have remote administration, but it is disabled by default.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

They do have remote administration, but it is disabled by default.
    Hopefully by now, they have changed the default password anyway.

There are a ton of lists out there listing the default passwords for every piece of hardware and software under the sun.......makes you wonder just how hard it really is to get into Joe User's home network.....