Thread: Help red hat stress!!!!!

Help red hat stress!!!!!

Pls help!!!

I'm so new to linux that i'm still reading the book.....

I want to reintall Red Hat 9.0 because i ran into problems so i rather start all over again.
    But i use my MsDos start up disk to see the partitions i don't know witch partition it is that i have to delete.. Pls don't laugh if you can help please be my guess i'm trying my best to get along with linux but it is not trying to be my friend...lol......help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!ha

Do you think that i should of had started with an older version of linux b'cause the first time i even touch linux it was red hat 9.0

taiwl thank you for your help

Ok, I use Redhat, what problem did you come into so that you had to start over. This is out of curiosity that I ask that one.

What do you mean what partition?
    There should be several, if my memory serves me correctly. When I set my RH9 up I had no problems.

Now if you are thinking of reinstalling don't worry abou anything just put your RH9 disk in your
    D: and shut your computer down and start back up. That will, bring up, the RH installer and from there you will be able to take everything. I mean, that will re-install the OS for you, just
    choose that you want to install it over another, existing RH version. I know that one is there for a fact.

If I had a nickle for everytime I reinstalled Windows.

That should solve the problem that you have. Now as a curiosity note, what problem did you have. Just curious. I am a RH fan though I am going to be going Knoppix.

Yes.

Let me know hope it helps.

If you are still into, deleting the partition. Let me know and I will guide you through it.

reply: whizkid2300

the problem that i ran into was that once i had updated all the packages about a day or two later i wasn't able to get into the internet well since i didn't know what to do to fix the problem what i decided to do was delete the partition and start over again..........

I think the reason i wasn't able to see the red hat partition was because is a different partition than the dos partitions............may be don't know too much about red hat so i can't call it i could just guess.........cause they 2 diff operating systems

Yeah your right Dos is Fat.

Now as for your Partition, blocking you from accessing the Internet, I have never heard of that one. Someone help me is that even possible.

Ok I got a question, before you scrap everything, were you able to access the internet before you added some new Packages?

2: whizkid2300

yes i was able to go into the internet b4 i installed the new packages.

I'm not saying that i can't get into the internet b'cause some partitions are blocking me, the reason i even mention partition was b'cause i wanted to delete the red hat partition...

My question was!!!!! do i need any special "boot up disk" to see linux partition? or can i use the msdos boot up disk?

Ok, this is when a partition program helps alot. But if you dot have one, just boot from the redhat CD, format the Linux partition, which will prolly show up as ext2 or ext3, and then chose those as where you want to install. it should format it and work out fine. Also, try SuSE Linux, way better.

Ok, first do me a favor, drop your Attitude, I am the one trying to help you, if you want I can just shut up and, carry on reading other Threads. Now I am trying ot help, but this Attitude that your giving off is really unwaranted. If you have a problem with something that I have said so far ignore, me or just say you don't want my help.

Now as for being able to see the Partition, YES you can.

Though Deleting is probably not needed. As for the The packets that you inserted yes it can have an adverse affect on your, system. If you are going to reinstall the same packets. This time do it one by one. Then you will know which one will, is the bad packet, there might be some corrupt data in one. It happens.

You could check out the Redhat site to see, if there are any known Corrupt packets.

Jizz

to be honest there is no attitute....

i'm assuming it was the packets that took me off the internet but not too sure about it, b'cause i usually just played around with red hat 9.0 i was really trying to learn it so i tryied every program....

maybe i did something that i wasn't suppost to do b'cause i have network of three computer in my home so what i was trying to do was keep linux installed on the pc that i'm using as the router to share the internet and with time i was going to set up the apache server.....

but it did not work the way i plan........

Q:how come when i go to the red hat "network configuration" ...i don't see my cable modem i only see the nic card that's routing into my home network........it was always like that even when the internet was working....

Taiwl
    i appreciate the help thank you

If the linux computer is the one sharing the connection to the
    others, it is easy to see why adding new software caused
    you to lose the internet. Something changed in the configuration
    when you updated. Since you are new to linux, it would be better
    to experiment on one of the other computers, rather than the
    one that is acting as your gateway to the net

Many people use a dedicated router, like lynksys, to connect to
    the net, and connect several computers to it.

I have a dual boot computer, win98 and redhat 7.2, connected to the net
    by modem, and to a switch by network card, to others on my lan
    It is easy to set up internet connection sharing on windows
    but it took me a little time to research all the issues related to
    sharing the connection through linux. Check the
    Linux IP Masquerade HOWTO
    For background info on how it is done. If it was working by default (before you installed
    upgrades), then maybe just reinstalling will put you working again, but at any rate,
    read the HOWTO just to familiarize yourself with how it is configured, and hopefully,
    how to fix it if it ever goes wrong again.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

I ran in to probs with this with redhat 7.3 and it was iptables that was dropping all my out going packets =/ su to root and /etc/init.d/iptables start maybe fix it i dont see how up-dating would do that though maybe you're dns server isnt getting recognized you on dial up dsl other ?
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/