Thread: outlook express

outlook express

My outlook express got corrupted ...
    The following error is coming
    "Cannot perform the requested action .Your default mail client is not properly installed"
    Is there any way to reinstall outlook express

iam using windows xp

maverick

a

My outlook express got corrupted ...
    The following error is coming
    "Cannot perform the requested action .Your default mail client is not properly installed"
    Is there any way to reinstall outlook express

iam using windows xp

maverick

a

Go to Control panel , add remove programs, windows components. Uncheck outlook express then apply it. May want to restart Windows is weird like that sometimes. Then go back and check it to reinstall it.

didn't search google did we

try looking at the bottom of this web page... I know it's for 2K but it should work just as well for XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

it's also possible to do it by reinstalling IE6 if I remember correctly.

And one other question... what does this have to do with security???

Z

PS you might also want to delete your earlier post on this same subject before you get some negs
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Here is a quick guide on Repairing InternatExplorer/Outlook Express

Repair or Reinstall Internet Explorer6 and Outlook Express 6
    According to Microsoft, if you are having trouble with either Internet Explorer 6 or Outlook Express 6 because of damaged files or missing registration information (XP registration trouble, not your name and address) you will need to either reinstall or repair the affected installation. I'm going to go over two ways that Microsoft suggests for dealing with IE6 and OE6 problems. Read over the entire article before making a decision about which method to use. At the end of Method II I've mentioned what I'd consider the best solution to this problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method I
    One likely cause of IE6 and OE6 not functioning properly is a corrupted file. Microsoft says this is the "most" likely cause, but I think that's wishful thinking. To run a check on the files and see if one or more is corrupted use the System File Checker that is included with Windows XP.

Click [Start] [Run] and type sfc /scannow in the [Open] box.
    (Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)

In all likelihood you will be prompted to insert the Windows XP CD ROM. If you don't have it available there is no point in continuing unless you have the files available on your hard drive and have changed the location of the XP installation files in the registry. If you do have the files copied to the hard drive, the default install location may be modified using the registry edit shown below.

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
    Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
    Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.
    Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value) // Value Name:
    Setting for Value Data: [Set using the path to the installation files, i.e. G:\WXPCCP_EN]
    Exit Registry and Reboot

Running System File Checker is not a fast process. The machine I use for the majority of my everyday work is only a P-III 866 with 784MB RAM and a 20GB/5400 RPM C drive and it took between 7-8 minutes running off the hard drive. Expect much longer times if you run from the CD. Once the System File Checker has finished, reboot and test to see if the problem has been resolved. If the problem still exists you have three choices.

In-place upgrade of Windows XP

Repair Windows XP

Reinstall Windows XP

Since I'm 100% against upgrade installations of XP I won't recommend that option. A repair of Windows XP may solve the problem, but the fact the problem arose in the first place makes me suspect of the current installations overall integrity. I suggest a complete reinstall of XP after backing up all data files. However, before you select any of the above choices, look at Method II below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method II
    The second method to try and correct the problem involves editing the registry and reinstalling Internet Explorer 6. The standard cautions apply whenever you are editing the registry. If you need help on how to backup the registry, click here.

If you are having problems only with Internet Explorer 6, proceed as follows:

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
    Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
    Data Type: DWORD // Value Name: IsInstalled
    Setting for Value Data: [Change the Value from 1 to 0]
    Exit Registry

If you are having problems only with Outlook Express 6, proceed as follows:

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
    Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA848-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}
    Data Type: DWORD // Value Name: IsInstalled
    Setting for Value Data: [Change the Value from 1 to 0]
    Exit Registry

If you are having problems with both Internet Explorer 6 and Outlook Express 6, proceed as follows:

Change the values in both of the registry keys as outlined above.
    Exit Registry

Once you have made the appropriate registry changes use the link below to download and install Internet Explorer 6. The Internet Explorer 6 download includes Outlook Express 6. Reboot and test for proper operation.

Source(http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_r...e_and_oe_6.htm)
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

Hi Maverick,

I am sorry to have to say this, but you may need to do a total re-install?

Have a look at your post............it has been duplicated!.....I had this problem with a WIN2K machine, and had to reinstall the OS to fix that (and other) problems.

I hope that I am wrong

Cheers

Hello Maverick, and welcome to AO,

I am afraid that you have a more serious problem than you think. This is a duplicate post...look at the site, you will see that you have the same thing with about 4 answers. That post is duplicated inside itself.

I am afraid that your Windows is corrupt, and that you may need to re-install. However, as you are running XP, might I suggest that you try the "repair" function? If that does not work, then try going back to a save point when your system was OK

Very Good Luck

Very Harsh, I would recommend GateWay GoBack 3.1. After you reinstall windows install this program. It allows you to revert your computer to and day after its installation. If you get a problem or virus just do a goback to a day or so before you got it and everythimg will be fine. I would recommend reading this http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_...ie_and_oe_6.htm

After your done reading this you can eithor try that and if that doesn't work reinstall windows, or just skip that and go staraight to the reinstallation.

GateWay GoBack is the love of my life.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    *Threads merged. Dup post removed*
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Nice post spools!

It is a VERY USEFUL link (ok let it re-direct) I am mainly posting this reply because the system won't let me give you any greenies until I have given them to others?

Sorry about that

Cheers

ThankYou, I would just like to share the joy that i get when i screw up my computer and am able to do a GOBACK.