accessing my machine

Thread: accessing my machine

Elite Hacker

accessing my machine

I just installed rehat 9.0 and I started the telnet, ssh, daytime, httpd, finger, and many other services just to mess around. I was wondering why I am not able to telnet into this computer from other computers.
    If I type telnet 192.168.0.101 from the computer with the services I am able to log on or view the other things I have activated. But If I go to another computer on my network lets say 192.168.0.102 and try to telnet to the 192.168.0.101, it says host not found. I also tried running a virtual server through the router having requests forwarded to this computer, but that didn't work. Does anyone know what is wrong? On apache I have it listening on *:80. So I should be able to view my web page right?
    please help.
    thanks in advance.

did you install a firewall, ipfilter/ipchains? anything like that and if so did you allow incomming telnet connections?

can you ping the RH box?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Elite Hacker
    I can ping the machine. I think the firewall might be on. How do I shut off the firewall?

I am using the Gnome desktop. If you hit the *start* button (mine is a red hat) and go to: "System Settings" and then "Security Level" you can adjust the systems security level, including trusted services (such as telnet)

let me know if this helps

deaflamb

Elite Hacker
    Thank you Tedob1 and deaflamb very much. It was just the firewall.
    I am so happy now.
    thanks again.

No problem, glad to help.

DeafLamb