Swaret - Keep Slack up-to-date
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swaret - Keep Slack up-to-date

Swaret - Keep Slack up-to-date

Swaret has finally been released by Slackware in their Extra's of the slackware-current tree.

From the Swaret developers website (http://swaret.xbone.be./)

swaret is a script to help keep your Slackware System up-to-date.

swaret Upgrades, Installs, Removes,... Packages/Patches/Extra Packages. It uses several Slackware Linux Mirrors through http/ftp/rsync or even Local Files. Settings are read from swaret.conf(5) and will be used at runtime.
    If you are running Slackware check out the Swaret site as it has a forum to ask/answer all questions you may need to know.

Simply this tool - easily modified through a conf file, allows you to keep your Slack box up-to-date by dragging packages, patches and extra's via a simple command and/or cron job. THe conf file allows you for instance to only grab patches if thats all you want - it is very flexible and easy to understand.

You can choice to either update and patch your existing version (security updates and patches) or live on the bleeding edge and let swaret draw all the files from the slackware-current tree.

I simply run swaret from a cron job weekly and let it do its stuff - it goes away and checks the files on my system and compares those with the files on the server and downloads, installs and checks for dependancies automatically.

For instance if I want the latest version of Gimp on offer from Slackware, and it is available on one of the mirrors ... I just point my conf file at that mirror and type in .... swaret --install gimp .... on the commandline and sit back and before long the latest Gimp offering is on the machine ready to use.

The only drawback I see is the need to run .... swaret --update .... before each update session so as to get the fresh list of new files on the mirror so it can read the difference between what I have and what is on offer ... but a small script to do the "--update" before "--up-all -A" was easy to implement and use.

Old news to Old Slackers but new to me is another handy tool I have found: CheckInstall (found at http://checkinstall.izto.org/). This in not a Slack only tool but can be used on Debian's dpkg and RPM package based systems

When I compile a program from source on my Slack box I run the ./configure and make as usual but the next command is "checkinstall" - CheckInstall then goes away and creates a slackware package which is installed with Slackware's package tool (that makes for easy removal later) and stores the freshly compiled package on my system for later use if I remove the package with the removepkg command for whatever reason.

It would also be useful for those who have a number of identical Slack boxes to upgrade, as once compiled the package could be used across the board on these systems and the program only required compiling once.

Anyway if you have a Slackware box and haven't seen these tools before, check them out - they do make life all that much easier in keeping your system up-to-date.

nice find dude,

I'll try it on my spare slack box..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Bout time, it got annoying downloading each patch/update from FTP then installing by hand. This was an area I think slack ware was slacking on...Pun can be intended I guess. But I'm glad they are finally getting an update tool. Woot, die pkg_update

OMG!!!!

Bout time, it got annoying downloading each patch/update from FTP then installing by hand. This was an area I think slack ware was slacking on...Pun can be intended I guess. But I'm glad they are finally getting an update tool. Woot, die pkg_update
    Gore: Is this the first time you've talked about linux and haven't tried to get people to switch over to SuSE?!

Wait... I was wrong...

Its in your signature...

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Cool find. I have actually been waiting for this to happen.

A few quick FYIs before we all get excited. This is not like the RH u2date functionality. You'll need to run about a dozen or so commands before it is all over (from what I have seen). My guess is that with about an hour worth of scripting, I can automate much of the stuff mentioned in their docs.

None the less, at least we can update Slack a littler easier these days!!

Great info Phat_penguin.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Dozen commands ??? I haven't found this please tell me if I am doing something wrong ?

I just installed swaret, then opened the /etc/swaret.conf file and found a nice fat/fast up-to-date mirror site from http://www.abnormalpenguin.com/slackware-mirrors.php or http://www.slackware.com/getslack/ and stuck it in the conf file, (I stay away from the official slackware.com site - its slow and using it only slows the mirror sites down if everyone hits on them).

Followed this up with a ... "swaret --update" .. and as I said above, it compares the files on your system to the newer ones on the server - I have found I have had to do this before each update ... obviously it is writing a list of packages to be updated to the local system and comparing from that ---- then ........

1. "swaret --up-all" you are given the option to yes/no each package to be installed
    2. "swaret --up-all -A" if you want to everything automatically installed or,
    3. "swaret --install packagename" for a single package then ....
    4. sit back and let the good times roll .... at most two commands to update your system.

There is of course a number of other swaret options a "man swaret" helps here.

I just run this script weekly and let it update automagically, unless of course there is an urgent security fix released like today's OpenSSH one....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#!/bin/bash

# Get the updated package list from the Mirrors
    # in /etc/swaret.conf, edit this file as you see fit
    # Dont update from the offical Slackware site - it only
    # slows the Mirrors down from their updates !!

/usr/sbin/swaret --update

sleep 2

# Update the system automatically

/usr/sbin/swaret --up-all -A

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

........ one command now "./update_slackware" - couldn't be easier.

Swaret installs the packages then automatically, checks dependancies for you ... if anything fails, it is written to a log file or flashed up on your console so you can manually fix things at the time or later. Like anything its not 100% so one should check the log file anyway.

My only gripe is the rsync command in the conf file doesn't appear to offer the options to delete the stale files from my package update directory following the download/update procedure .... or I just haven't figured out how to pass the commands to rynsc via swaret yet ... so I have to go in and manually remove the older versions of the packages ... it not a big thing but it still requires a little manual input on my part.

Finally, a word of warning if you dont select DINTERFACE=1 (so as to use wget/rsync interface instead of swaret % counter during update) in the conf file your CPU usage might go through the roof for some reason during the update session .... mine did until I switched the option to 1, besides this option flashes up more info on the console to make life a little more interesting.

Enjoy ...

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    OMG!!!!

Gore: Is this the first time you've talked about linux and haven't tried to get people to switch over to SuSE?!

Wait... I was wrong...

Its in your signature...
    Yes my little aquatic friend, It's always there

And if youd try it, I'm sure youd love it. But yea, I can talk Linux without bringing up SuSE...For a minute. I also like Mandrake too.
    And Debian. Slack I was using for a WHILE though, so I know how it is downlading packages seperatly and installing each by hand. They call it Slack yet you have to work the hardest to update it, lol. What a fun pun.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I saw this on their site:

: How can i Upgrade Slackware 8.1 safely to Slackware Current?
    A: Edit /etc/swaret.conf, set VERSION and ROOT to current.

Now retrieve the newest List Files (current).
    swaret --update

Now download a/glibc-solibs, a/pkgtools, a/bin and a/sed.
    swaret --download glibc-solibs -a
    swaret --download pkgtools -a
    swaret --download bin -a
    swaret --download sed -a

Go to the Cache Directory (/var/swaret) and
    apply the following Commands in the Shell (sh).
    upgradepkg glibc-solibs*
    upgradepkg pkgtools*
    upgradepkg bin*
    installpkg sed*

Upgrade Slackware Linux 8.1 to Slackware Linux Current with:
    swaret --upgrade (manually)
    OR
    swaret --upgrade -a (automatically)

NOTE:
    If you already tried to Upgrade to current and it gives problems,
    download a/glibc-solibs, a/pkgtools, a/bin and a/sed manually from any available Mirror below.

ftp://ftp.slackware.no/pub/linux/sla...kware-current/
    ftp://ftp.slackware.at/slackware-current/
    http://www.slackware.at/data/slackware-current/
    http://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/slac...kware-current/
    rsync://slackware.orbital.us/slackware/slackware-current/
    rsync://rsync.slackware.at/slackware/slackware-current/

More Slackware Linux Mirrors available at http://www.slackware.com

After download use the Commands below and start swaret over again to Upgrade.

upgradepkg glibc-solibs*
    upgradepkg pkgtools*
    upgradepkg bin*
    installpkg sed*

Sorry 'bout that. I should have been more clear.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

No problems thehorse13,

You are absolutely correct if you are upgrading from 8.1 > 9.0 or current, I should have been clearer as I started with the 9.0 base system.

Anyway your post will certainly help those doing the a major upgrade.

Thanks for filling in the gaps

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I was curious for those using swaret how they have their EXCLUDE and other variables set. I've been playing around with it and trying to optimize it and yet make sure it's safe (checking for pgp checks etc.).

And do you enable kernel/lilo checks or no?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage