Thread: help with XP

help with XP

Hey i have had Xp installed on my other computer for about two months now.
    And A friend has told me that my file and print sharing is enabled.
    He told me that i should disable it, other wise my computer would be easy to hack into.
    After askin him how he knew this. He responded with that he had hacked into my computer, as he wanted a copy of this program i have got..
    So i was wonderin, how do i disable this "file and print sharing". Thing that he was talking about...?
    As i do not wish for this to happen again.
    Many thanks in advance.
    (and yes i searched through the site.)
    And i tried searching google, and i have searched my manual that came with the XP Disc but i could not find what i was lookin for.
    Please help.........

go to the control panel then network connections, then right click on the connectoid you are using then left click on properties. You will get a the properties of the connectoid and if file and printer sharing for microsoft networks is checked uncheck it. Voila. I doubt he hacked you though. You can also try a firewall but if you don't use file and printer sharing then yeah stop it.

thank you, i will try it now.

thanks you too.
    I typed in something a little different and it came up with everything that i was not looking for.
    So thank you
    I have now swiftly disabled this "file and print sharing" Thingy
    And i think that in the morning i will go out to the nearest computer shop and purchase a firewall program.

I would also run The Cleaner from Moosoft as well.. your friend may have left something behind..youknow just for kicks..
    Also if you not using it give Spybot Search and destroy.. for download goto Google and key.. Spybot that should get it a link for you..
    Certainly RTFM.. Read the tutorials.. this will give you many more pointers for other areas of security..
    Also goto www.blackviper.com and read what he has to say about Services.. and the ones he recommends that you disable.. I recommend Messenger, SSDP Discovery, universal Plug and Play as the first contenders..

With Firewalls be careful.. do a search on this site for firwalls.. this will get you a bit better clued for what to use (confused also).. but more importantly better equiped on setting up the firewall..

Cheers (oh and Wellcome to this site..)
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

BTW you may want to use a free firewall instead of buying one. It's completely up to you but I am happy with sygate personal firewall from www.sygate.com and it is free.

Thanks for the links people.
    I think i will definiatly read up on this firewall thingy.
    Im glad i did sign up to this organisation, i have learnt so many knew things and i am meeting other people here that are allways so friendly and willing to help a "newbie" out.
    thank you all
    cheers

this is one of the threads that makes AOers proud to be AOers.
    dont you people agree?

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

i am NOT a hacker :Þ