Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VeriSign Implements Redirects For Mistyped Domains

VeriSign Implements Redirects For Mistyped Domains

September 16, 2003 -- (WEB HOST INDUSTRY REVIEW) -- VeriSign (verisign.com) announced yesterday the implementation of its Site Finder service to the .com and .net top-level domain zones.

The company said Site Finder is designed to help users reach their Internet destinations when URLs are mistyped or spelled incorrectly. According to reports published by the Associated Press, critics complain that the Site Finder service gives a private company too much control over online commerce and lets it profit from an essential monopoly over ".com" and ".net" names.
    News Here : http://thewhir.com/marketwatch/veri091603.cfm

But Seems to be some peep have probs with this

Okay, everyone. Let's all say it together: **** Verisign!
    Source Here : http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000970.html

What about u ??
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

Personally I find verisign to be a deceitful comany with extremely poor regard to it's customer service practice and customers in general. They remind me of old ma bell.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I saw this when I typed in my companies domain name incorrectly. Although it may help people find your domain, it is kind of a shady practice. Especially when they have search catagories that probably include payed listings.

Here is an example page:

http://sitefinder.verisign.com/lpc?u...dmicrosoft.com
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

AO French Antique News Whore
    I hope they lost money to buy all those server to accept all the bad request!!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Where as I do agree about the practices of Verisign, I think that the service may have some residual benefit. Now, before you blast me into next week, just give this a thought. Many pr0n and "buy junk on the internet" sites thrive on spelling mistakes. They snap up domains that are commonly mispelled and point them to their main site(s). I know that I have typed in something completely innocent and of course spelled the site wrong and found myself looking at penile enlargement order forms. No, I didn't place an order .
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

It appears there are others that are not to happy with what Verisign is doing as well.

VeriSign's controversial "typo-squatting" Site Finder service is about to be bypassed by an emergency software patch to many of the Internet's backbone computers.
    The ISC has received so many complaints, it is developing a 'patch' for the BIND software which will 'block' the site finder service.

However, the ISC is about to undercut the Site Finder service with a patch to its BIND software.

BIND runs on about 80 percent of the Internet's domain name servers -- the machines that translate human-readable Web addresses like www.wired.com into machine-readable Internet addresses used by the Internet's vast network of computers.
    Apparently this little trick is messing up some ISP's spam filter checks.

lot of spam spoofs the "from" domain, and that many ISP-level spam filters check whether incoming e-mail is from a valid domain or not. Instead of generating errors, the spam filter checks are instead being rerouted to the Site Finder service, and therefore appear to originate from a legitimate domain.
    You can read the full story HERE

Cheers:
    DjM

Another thing that is stupid about this Verisign thing:

From the terms of service: (http://sitefinder.verisign.com/terms.jsp)

"AGREEMENT TO BE BOUND.
    By using the service(s) provided by VeriSign under these Terms of Use, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to be bound by all terms and conditions here in and documents incorporated by reference."

So by typing in the domain name wrong you are agreeing to be bound by their Terms and Conditions even though you have not had a chance to read them first.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

"AGREEMENT TO BE BOUND.
    By using the service(s) provided by VeriSign under these Terms of Use, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to be bound by all terms and conditions here in and documents incorporated by reference."
    That is such bs!

here is what you do...

open your hosts file

add entry

127.0.0.1 sitefinder.verisign.com

bye bye sitefinder.verisign.com!

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    LOL, yes, the good ol localhost trick! I used that technique to block the AOL add servers that are in AIM...

Anyway, I'd be interested to know exactly how Verisign slipped into a position where they were able to get this service implimented.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Anyway, I'd be interested to know exactly how Verisign slipped into a position where they were able to get this service implimented.
    Maybe because ICANN gave them control over all the .com and .net domains?

ICANN has asked them to suspend their sitefinder and verisign has declined... wonder how much longer they'll be in control of the .com and .net domains?