Linksys setup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linksys setup

Linksys setup

Hey guys, just got my cable internet connection back, but this time with a Linksys wireless router, any tips, knowledge, anything that can help me secure it?

When using wireless anything, always use encryption. I don't know how to do it in Windows, but it should be in the connection properties dialog box or something. You don't need NSA grade encryption, but at least enough to ward off the casual wardriver. (WiFi hacker.)
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Linksys supports WEP. I'd go ahead and configure that at a minimum. Also, a good idea would be to use a personal firewall in addition to the Linksys device. Black Ice and Zone Alarm are both supported by the vendor.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    and MAC filter the wireless connections..... Everything you can do to make it harder is good...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Set the AP to not broadcast your SSID as well........(90% sure that linksys APs support that option.)

*EDIT Come on people, why would a "Senior" Member Neg this? It was to the point and relevent to the topic. What is with AO sometimes...

Linksys

... and don't forget to check their support page for firmware updates.

And change the default password to access the router's config.

l00p

Linksys does support the ability to not broadcast the SSID, and thats a definite in something to do. WEP is a definite as well.

I personally do not feel its necessary to have a personal firewall on a machine that is already behind a NAT router, but to each there own. THe only reason I would use a firewall type program when I am behind NAT, is for detecing virii or trojans that you get through mail from getting out to the internet.

Arrow

wep is easily broken with any kind of *nix box i would tell you to firewall any boxes you put behind this router also i would say that you should proboly set up a trusted mac address list this will keep anybody who is not seriously interested out and deter most wardrivers due to the time it takes to change mac adresses, then break wep then go through the firewall..........not really worth it
    chown -r us ./bases

Here are the things that I do to secure my linksys router:

1) Use WEP

2) Change the default SSID

3) Turn off SSID broadcasting

4) Change the IP address of your router. By default it is 192.168.1.1. If you change it to something like 192.168.1.50, an attacker may not be able to guess your gateway address.

4) Do not use DHCP. Instead manually enter the proper DNS/Gateway/IP Information on all of your systems. This will prevent someone from connecting to your system and automatically getting an IP address.

5) Use the advanced security features to only allow the IPs that you have given to your machines access to get out of the router. What this will do is prevent a hacker from being able to sniff your SSID and then randomly assign a valid IP. They will get access to your network, but they will not be able to access the internet from your router. You will need to make the IPs of your systems very similiar, like 192.168.1.150, 192.168.1.151. You can then easily deny access to all IPs lower than 150 and higher than 151. Get it?

6) If you are using Win2k or XP, use the IP security policies to restrict access to all 192.168.x.x IP's except for those that you have given to other systems on your network, and 192.168.1.1(or the IP of your router). What this will do, is even if somebody gets onto your network, your machines will not accept any packets from their IP. Also, given that 192.186.x.x IP's are unroutable, no internet IPs will be in the 192.168 range.

7) If you are really paranoid. You can configure IPsec to always encrypt data travelling between systems on your home network. This would provide a higher level of encryption than WEP.

edit- I totally forgot to mention MAC filtering. You would want to make sure that you use the MAC address filtering functionality of your WAP.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Mnchur: Yes WEP is easily broken...... but the rider on that is they have to capture between 30 and 50 million packets first...... On a busy company netwirk that wouldn't take more than a few hours..... Bit on a home network they guy is going to have to be pretty determined 'cos he'll be coming back for weeks in order to capture enough packets..... There are easier targets out there......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides