Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comp boot on its own

Comp boot on its own

I've a computer that runs on XP. And recently, it will reboot on its own. See, the comp will run normally. After that, there is a screen that says whether you want to start yer comp "normally", "save mode with networking", etc. wherever I click, it will run and ask you whether you want to check your C Drive. After checking the C Drive for any errors, it doesn't continue to load to the desktop that it's s'posed to, but rebooted on its own.
    what's the problem??

p.s. pardon me if I posted it on the wrong forum or for my bad English at explaining.
    Thanks.
    [glowpurple]First you must decide. Then you must follow through.\" - Lacus Clyne[/glowpurple]

Sounds serious m8....you may have to reinstall the os but 1st try booting into safe mode (F8 at reboot)...if thats successful, rightclick the 'my computer' icon and click on properties then click the hardware tab and then click device manager....if you see any ? then that could be the problem...reinstall the original drivers for the corresponding hardware and reboot...Im sure some of the guys will have more help for you...so hang around

Re: Comp boot on its own

Originally posted here by tragicallyhip
    I've a computer that runs on XP. And recently, it will reboot on its own. See, the comp will run normally. After that, there is a screen that says whether you want to start yer comp "normally", "save mode with networking", etc. wherever I click, it will run and ask you whether you want to check your C Drive. After checking the C Drive for any errors, it doesn't continue to load to the desktop that it's s'posed to, but rebooted on its own.
    what's the problem??

p.s. pardon me if I posted it on the wrong forum or for my bad English at explaining.
    Thanks.

Hi mike,

I think you got hit but the virus - nachi.... Goto www.sarc.com to download a nachi fix tools..

Hi Shaggy,
    I tried booting into safe mode, but it rebooted on its own after checking the C Drive too. I've tried inserting the XP disc, but it doesn't read the disc.
    [glowpurple]First you must decide. Then you must follow through.\" - Lacus Clyne[/glowpurple]

Hi m8..what AV software have you got installed? Does it have a command line scan? mebbe try booting into dos and give that a go? You could indeed have a virus....

I've got Norton Antivirus 2002 installed. Booting into.. dos?

I think you have a virus problem. If you can, boot to dos and run the virus scan thru the command line. To do that you will need a dos boot disk. you can use win98 to create it.

If you are not able to do that then booting in safe mode is the other option.

You did not say what happens after the reboot. Is the drive fat 32 or ntfs ??
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Hi,

Does your system ever get to the desktop, or does it just keep re-booting?

I would suggest that you go to another PC or get a friend to do it for you...

Go to http://vil.nai.co/vil/stinger and download this free emergency tool. I would suggest you download it to a floppy, and run it from that. Remember to move the little write protect tab on the floppy.

If you are just looping with your re-boots, you need a WIN 98 boot or installation disk, and start your machine with that in the "A" drive. You will eventually get to a blank screen with something like

A:\>

Remove the WIN 98 Boot disk. Insert the stinger disk and type

Stinger.exe after the A:\> prompt. Then hit "enter"

It sounds very much like malware, but the underlying cause seems to be that your machine is not registering a clean shutdown, which is why it wants to run scandisk every time.

Good luck!

I don't know what nachi has to do with this problem..

Why is the thought that the problem is a Virus anyway?

First I suspect it is software problem: either a faulty driver, or virtual device driver (VXD) (while it is probable that malware has caused this)

To get past this problem try booting into "Safe Mode" .. (this advice has already been given)
    If succesful then use msconfig to disable ALL progs from the startup.. apply and restart..
    Works ok now.. now re-enable the startup progs one at a time un till all is ok..
    If you have recently installed an old version of Nero InCD.. bad news with WinXP.. symptoms similar to yours are common..

You are using WinXP.. The fact the system is demanding a checkdisk your HDD is most likely formatted under the FAT32 file system.. this will enable you to attempt to use DOS based applications to check for virii, and check files on the system.. but by inserting the WinXP CD you can use the recovery console.. You at least have that on hand ..don't you?

Oh and If I am wrong and your File system is NTFS and Checkdisk is running for another reason .. A dos disk will be as "handy as **** on a Boer Pig".. the XP CD and recovery Con is your easyest option..

But get your machine into safe mode and start there.. btw if you are unable to get it to start in safe-mode.. recovery console is your next option..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr